Vantage

• 1.  How to send SNMP TRAP from Vantage?

Posted Aug 08, 2018 10:41 AM

How to issue alerts in the vantage, monitoring Storage Groups and forward these alerts to Spectrum through an SNMP TRAP.

My version is R12.6.

The UNICSNMP parameter in the VKGPARMS member is already set with the Spectrum server IP.

• 2.  Re: How to send SNMP TRAP from Vantage?

Posted Aug 10, 2018 03:43 PM

The messages action supports both the FEMS (Framework Event Management Server) and SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) interfaces to Unicenter. FEMS is the default. To use SNMP you must ensure that the CA Service Desk server TCP/IP address for SNMP has been specified in the UNICSNMP system parameter. CA Service Desk event library support is a component of CA Common Services. It provides a mechanism to open CA Service Desk (USD) requests from CA Vantage SRM.

Vantage User Guide CH.8 Working with General Object Automation (GOA) Scripts

section: Send Message to the z/OS Operator, Unicenter (FEMS/SNMP) or the CA Service Desk

• 3.  Re: How to send SNMP TRAP from Vantage?

Posted Aug 13, 2018 09:08 AM

So does this mean that it is not possible to send SNMP Trap to another tool other than Unicenter? For example, CA Spectrum?

• 4.  Re: How to send SNMP TRAP from Vantage?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2018 07:54 AM

Hello Felix

I just performed a short test with CA Spectrum support and the SNMP Trap from Vantage has been received.
    I used the following dummy script for testing and specified the IP Address of the CA Spectrum Server in the UNICSNMP VKGPARM:

<GENERAL>
    EVENT_TYPE=GOA
    TITLE=snmptest
    DESCRIPTION1=snmptest
    SIMULATE=N
    ENABLED=Y
    LOAD_SCRIPT=Y
    STARTTIME=0000
    ENDTIME=2400
    <EVENT_PROCEDURE>
    SEND_UNI=SEV=I,MSG=SNMPTEST FROM SYSA
    PERFORM_SEND

NOTE: as per CA Spectrum support "Unmanaged Trap Handling" must be enabled.

Best regards

Achim

• 5.  Re: How to send SNMP TRAP from Vantage?

Posted Aug 14, 2018 02:46 PM

This script you created through the windows client or in some zOS member?

• 6.  Re: How to send SNMP TRAP from Vantage?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 15, 2018 04:37 AM

Hi Felix,

yes, I created this dummy script using the Windows client. This dummy script, does not refer to any object and is just used to test actions like SEND_UNI=SEV=I for example. It needs to be fired manually. In order to create such a dummy script using the Windows Client, you need to skip the "Source Object Selection" in the Automation Script Wizard.

These scripts reside as Members in your AUTOSCR library. It would actually be possible to manually create scripts using ISPF EDIT, but this is not recommended. You should always use the Windows Client to be sure the correct syntax is used.

Best regards

Achim.