Service Virtualization

• 1.  Recording Process for TCP

Posted Aug 09, 2018 11:29 AM

Hi ,

We are trying to record a TCP service but getting timed out error while virtualising it . I would like to know whether I am following the correct procedure for recording the TCP . Can anyone guide me the step by step process for TCP recording in 10.1 . which data protocol I need to choose for request and response . Please advise ...

• 2.  Re: Recording Process for TCP

Posted Aug 09, 2018 12:19 PM

Although the links below are related to TCP recording using the Portal, the same general concept and flow applies to recording via the DevTest Workstation.  

Virtualize Services by Recording (TCP) - DevTest Solutions - 10.1 - CA Technologies Documentation  

Delimiters are described here:

Virtualize TCP - DevTest Solutions - 10.1 - CA Technologies Documentation  

• 3.  Re: Recording Process for TCP

Posted Aug 10, 2018 04:09 AM

Thanks for the reply .. It was very much helpful but here I would like to know what data protocol need to choose once we recorded the transactions for TCP . I got some transactions recorded ,selected Generic pay load xml parser and request data manager as request data protocol but its not getting stubbed properly where I am getting error while opening the vsi.Kindly advise

• 4.  Re: Recording Process for TCP

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 10, 2018 05:07 AM

When I get errors opening TCP VSIs, it's always because the message isn't safe to be opened as XML representation in DevTest. It means that it was a message with control characters in it, such as ^@ (0x00 or �), ^A (0x01), etc, that would cause issues if it was displayed.

Valid characters in XML - Wikipedia 

You'll need to save the raw traffic during your recording process, then manually decode that traffic in a text / binary editor (like Notepad++ on Windows or TextWrangler on Mac), to determine what's happening in your messages. TCP is a lower-level protocol than something like HTTP, so it doesn't have the same strict standards as to how data is encoded - you might need to do some encoding yourself in a custom or a scriptable DPH, or investigate whether the Opaque Data Processor is relevant for your situation.

• 5.  Re: Recording Process for TCP

Posted Aug 10, 2018 12:53 PM

Are you aware of what kind of message format the payload is? XML is not a common payload format for TCP services. But rather you'll find the payloads to be of some legacy format, such as "fixed-length". If that's the case then adding the Generic XML Payload Parser will not do any good and it won't be able to parse the message and populate your VSI with arguments. So the first thing to do is to try and look at the transaction during the recording. You can do this by double clicking on one of the transactions that you capture through the VSE recorder and then look at the body to determine if it's XML or something else.

• 6.  Re: Recording Process for TCP

Posted Aug 21, 2018 06:18 AM

Transport protocol used is TCP and data format is IWS hence I have selected data protocols such as request data manager , generic payload Xml , LBG on wire protocols for recording the service but getting IWS.error message. we tried all possible ways but getting the attached error . can u please advise 

• 7.  Re: Recording Process for TCP

Posted Sep 05, 2018 10:58 AM

Hello Shanmuga,

What is the error you are facing?

Heloisa