AnsweredAssumed Answered

In the Resource Tab/Tree why does APM use WebSpherePMI|threadPoolModule|WebContainer:ActiveCount over WebSpherePMI|threadPoolModule:ActiveCount?

Question asked by Scottie Hightower on Aug 10, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 13, 2018 by Hallett_German

This was the question given to me by our SOA Team...  I gave them an explanation but they did not like mine.  I would appreciate any useful information anyone can provide...

 

I’ve been trying to figure out why the Resources tab in APM never has a value or has incorrect values for the “Threads in Use” and the “JDBC Connections in Use” charts as shown in the screenshot below.

 

I finally figured out it is because the default resource mapping properties file has the wrong values mapped for those two metrics for WebSphere.

 

The “threads.used.path.1=WebSpherePMI|threadPoolModule|WebContainer:ActiveCount” mapping maps the thread count of only one WebSphere object to the chart and it never goes above 2 MAYBE 3 when WebSphere really has hundreds of threads in use but it’s never reflected accurately in the “Threads in Use” chart.

 

The “JDBC Connections in Use” is currently mapped to the “connections.used.path.1=WebSpherePMI|connectionPoolModule:WaitingThreadCount” metric which is actually a thread count for the number of threads waiting for a connection and NOT the number of “JDBC Connections in Use”.

 

To resolve this, would it be possible to change following two metrics:

 

  1. Change “threads.used.path.1=WebSpherePMI|threadPoolModule|WebContainer:ActiveCount” to “threads.used.path.1=WebSpherePMI|threadPoolModule:ActiveCount”

 

  1. Change “connections.used.path.1=WebSpherePMI|connectionPoolModule:WaitingThreadCount” to “connections.used.path.1=WebSpherePMI|connectionPoolModule:ConnectionHandleCount”

 

This should produce accurate values in these two charts in APM.

Outcomes