DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  How to use CLW to track transactions in excess of 2 seconds without Trace Period limit?

Posted Aug 11, 2018 01:05 AM

Hello.. .

CA APM Version v10.7

I would like to know how to use CLW to track transactions in excess of 2 seconds without Trace Period limit.

In other words, how do we exclude the "for 600 seconds" tracking Period constraint from the CLW command below?

java -Xmx128M -Duser=Admin -Dpassword= -Dhost=localhost -Dport=5001 -jar <Introscope Home>\lib\CLWorkstation.jar trace transactions exceeding 2 seconds in agents matching "(.*)" for 600 seconds

Thank you..

• 2.  Re: How to use CLW to track transactions in excess of 2 seconds without Trace Period limit?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 12, 2018 08:28 PM

Hi Jinsuk,

When you start a Transaction Trace session with CLW or normal UI Workstation you have to define the duration of that session per the command syntax: CLW Command Reference - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

I believe this is deliberate design to provide TT session control and avoid having TT sessions with unlimited length  because if TT sessions are overused they can impact performance.

I hope that makes sense.

Regards,

Lynn

NOTE: 

After further research Support have confirmed that it is not possible to stop a transaction trace session that has been started with the CLW before the session duration time has elapsed. Therefore we suggest to exercise caution with the length of duration times used when running transaction traces from CLW. Also particularly when running CLW in a scripted format where the command could be issued easily many times, as this could easily lead to a large volume of trace processing which will increase performance overhead on all parts of the product. 

A new KB article has also been published with more extensive details:

"Can I stop a transaction trace session started by the CA APM Command Line Workstation (CLW)?"

https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/can-i-stop-a-transaction-trace-session-started-by-commandline-workstation/KB00006726

• 3.  Re: How to use CLW to track transactions in excess of 2 seconds without Trace Period limit?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 12, 2018 09:56 PM

Hi Jinsuk,

I did some more testing and I see that the CLW session remains active for the life of the Transaction Trace session so I suppose your logic is why is a duration required when you can just terminate the CLW session to end it and thus control the TT session duration that way.

If you effectively want a TT session to run forever until you terminate the CLW session you can set the duration to the max value for a 32-bit integer i.e. "for 2147483647 seconds". I have tested CLW and it allows that.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Lynn

• 4.  Re: How to use CLW to track transactions in excess of 2 seconds without Trace Period limit?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 07:43 PM

** CORRECTION TO ABOVE **

After further research Support have confirmed that it is not possible to stop a transaction trace session that has been started with the CLW before the session duration time has elapsed. Therefore we suggest to exercise caution with the length of duration times used when running transaction traces from CLW. Also particularly when running CLW in a scripted format where the command could be issued easily many times, as this could easily lead to a large volume of trace processing which will increase performance overhead on all parts of the product. 
    A new KB article has also been published with more extensive details:
    "Can I stop a transaction trace session started by the CA APM Command Line Workstation (CLW)?"
    https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/can-i-stop-a-transaction-trace-session-started-by-commandline-workstation/KB000067263

Thanks to my colleague DavidLewis for notifying me of the previous research he did on this subject.