Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Setting Multiple Return Codes

Posted Aug 15, 2018 06:40 AM

I have a couple of jobs that are set for the acceptable return code of 4, but in one of the steps if a file is not received it will get a 16 which is acceptable in this step only. I have these jobs now set with each individual step setup with its own return code now, but I still notice that the job finishes with the status of ENDED_VANISHED - disappeared.  If I have this setup correctly should the jobs not finish with ENDED_OK? if this is the case, does someone have an example of how this is to be setup so I can ensure that I have it set correctly? I did try when initially setting this up to check the box beside each return code that says OK and the jobs seemed to finish after the first step and not run the subsequent steps

• 2.  Re: Setting Multiple Return Codes

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 15, 2018 01:27 PM

Hi Lennie,

what is the platform of this Jobs object? Would be helpful if you provide the job report ...

It seems that the job trailer (job messenger step) was not executed in your case.

regards,

Peter

• 3.  Re: Setting Multiple Return Codes

Posted Aug 15, 2018 01:34 PM

These jobs are running on the mainframe under the z/OS platform within UC4. I am not sure about the job messenger step as I have been working on trying to get these setup by only reading the manual and for this part it seems a little vague to me on the setup

• 4.  Re: Setting Multiple Return Codes

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 22, 2018 12:22 PM

Hi Lennie,

have you defined the return codes per step in the job's runtime tab ?

• 5.  Re: Setting Multiple Return Codes

Posted Aug 22, 2018 01:16 PM

yes, each step is define and I have checked the OK box for each of the steps as well. I just do not seem to be getting the job to finish OK when one of the return codes that are hit 

• 6.  Re: Setting Multiple Return Codes

Posted Sep 06, 2018 09:19 AM

Here is the example of how I have set the condition code checking per step for what I am trying to do

• 7.  Re: Setting Multiple Return Codes

Posted Aug 22, 2018 09:43 AM

I also have a message attached to all of the jobs to alert operators to any job failures. Would the alert message override the step condition codes? I wouldn't think it would, but this is the only thing that I can see that's in the same area in the runtime tab while trying to trouble shoot this issue

• 8.  Re: Setting Multiple Return Codes

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 22, 2018 12:21 PM

ENDED_VANISHED in most of the cases is an indicator that the job messenger program at the end of the job was not executed - probably due to an JCL error.

Can you please check this.