Service Virtualization

• 1.  DevTest TCP protocol, problem with the request.

Posted Aug 16, 2018 02:10 PM

Hi Guys:

I have a question, I need to virtualize a request/response socket, I using TCP protocol by recording, the response was register complete but the request doesn't, the request was incomplete resgister, DevTest cut when find the first blank space.
    Do you have any idea of the reason? #devtest10.x Stefana_Muller #devtestcommunity

• 2.  Re: DevTest TCP protocol, problem with the request.

Posted Aug 16, 2018 04:43 PM

It looks you are trying to use the Portal, correct?  I have never tried TCP using the portal.

In Workstation, part of the TCP recording setup is to provide a configuration of how the recorder is supposed to treat the message (i.e., as Text and the payload's encoding), and what types of delimiters are used in the request (i.e., attempt to detect, whole data packet, records are fixed length, records end with line endings, etc.).

Which options did you use for these settings?

Since you indicate the request payload was truncated, I would first check the settings to ensure the recorder recognized the proper record end location.

• 3.  Re: DevTest TCP protocol, problem with the request.

Posted Aug 16, 2018 05:39 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Joel:

Yes I'm trying with the Portal for configuration (Request) I'm trying with :

* Records are equal to the whole data package
    * Records are delimited by specific characters (with this opcion used *)
    * Records are terminated with line endings

With all of them the result was the same.

Any Idea?

• 4.  Re: DevTest TCP protocol, problem with the request.
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 22, 2018 06:32 PM

I suspect the issue is that the payload is transmitted with some sort of specialized delimiter.

Can anyone from the client or provider application team provide information about what delimiters are used?

As an example, I have seen applications use 0x0B, 0x0C, 0x0E, CRLF, LF, etc. delimiters to denote payload begin and end locations. There is no real standard since this is normally defined by the calling and provider applications as part of their API specification.

If this is a Windows platform, install a tool such as Wireshark on the machine running the recorder.  If Linux, you might try using tcpdump.

Start Wireshark or TCP dump and send a request to the recorder.

Stop the Wireshark recording and examine the TCP packets.

The packets can be analyzed to determine if there is a special character used as a delimiter.

If the delimiter is a one byte Hex value, you most likely need to create a custom Delimiter because the "Records are delimited by specific characters" option only accepts values that are in the valid ASCII range (-127 to 127) -- basically, whatever you can key on your keyboard. 

• 5.  Re: DevTest TCP protocol, problem with the request.

Posted Sep 05, 2018 10:50 AM

Hello GUADALUPEM,

Did Joel's comments help you?

Thank you,

Heloisa