DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  DR snmp_collector

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 10:04 PM

My client has the requirement to have a cold standby server for snmp_collector hub. When needed, they will swing from the "primary" snmp_collector hub server to the DR snmp_collector hub server. What do I need to do to accomplish this? My understand is the config data are in local DB, can I copy this DB (on top of metric family, cert, conf files) periodically to the standby snmp_collector server?

• 2.  Re: DR snmp_collector

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 11:40 PM

Hi, I hope this KB give you some pointers to achieve your needs.

https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/how-to-move-snmpcollector-probe-from-one-hub-to-another-hub/kb000103510

One thing I would like to highlight - The same origin value shall be shared in between "primary" and "standby"

Regards, Yu

• 3.  Re: DR snmp_collector

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2018 12:44 AM

The instruction says that I need to:

1. Open Template Editor in current snmpcollector probe and deactivate all active templates.

2. Deactivate snmpcollector probe.

The ideal plan is to able to backup the following files nightly:

<snmpcollector>/snmpcollector.cfg
    <snmpcollector>/snmpcollector.mv.db
    <snmpcollector>/bulk_config/templates/*
    <snmpcollector>/CustomVendorCertifications/* (If you have self certification)

The need to shutdown snmpcollector is not ideal. Questions are:

1 - is that a way I can programmatically disable templates from command line

2 - is deactiving snmpcollector probe a must? I am assuming the reason for this is to ensure we get a clean DB file copy. if I:

a. copy the DB file while snmpcollector probe is running, how good is the DB file?

b. instead of backing up the live DB files, can I copy the DB backup files and then restore them onto the "standby" snmpcollector hub?