DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Exchange Probe Deployment

Posted Aug 16, 2018 02:54 PM

I'm looking for some advice on the Exchange probe.  I am new to UIM as we have just deployed in the past few weeks and I'm still climbing the learning curve.  I have been asked to deploy the Exchange server probe to collect certain metrics.  In reading the MCS configuration instructions, it seemed to me as if once the Exchange probe was deployed, you could then setup profiles for each of the groups to monitor specific metrics.  I did not setup any profiles as of yet, but I'm finding that all metrics are being collected out of the box - I think.  The list of metrics that can be collected is enormous.  Are they all automatically enabled?  Is it possible to disable some of the profile metrics?  I'm concerned about overhead on the server when collecting too much.  Also, if there are any best practices out there for Exchange monitoring I would appreciate some help in finding them.

Thank you in advance.

• 2.  Re: Exchange Probe Deployment

Posted Aug 17, 2018 02:00 PM

There are a lot of metrics for exchange_monitor and most are collected for it via other probes.

The exchange_monitor probe uses the following probes to obtain this information or metrics:

• Performance metrics are captured by perfmon probe
    • Services are captured by ntservices probe
    • Events are captured by ntevl probe
    • Process metrics are captured by processes probe

exchange_monitor (Microsoft Exchange Monitoring) Release Notes - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Techno… 

It is important the latest revision of each is used.

I was not able to find an documents on best practices, and would recommend only enabling those metrics you know are needed.

Also recommended is to review each of the three ways of administering the probe, IM console configure, Admin Console configure, and MCS. They are not the same, one may have an option that is needed or desired which the others do not.

In general for many of the probes the IM & AC configure GUI was developed at different times, so often even they are not the same.

It is important that one is chosen and used, using more than one to configure a probe will usually result in problems.

• 3.  Re: Exchange Probe Deployment

Posted Aug 17, 2018 03:45 PM

Thanks David,  I did find that the IM configuration method provided the most flexibility as to what to enable.  Out of the box almost everything is enabled in the metrics.  We were able to trim that down significantly to only get the metrics we are interested in.