Release Automation

• 1.  LDAP user authentication

Posted Aug 20, 2018 06:27 AM

Hi,

What happens when i import a LDAP user? Does it created/stored locally to CA-RA? How does the authentication work? What happens if i remove the user from LDAP directory? Will it still be able to log on ?

What is a difference between local user and imported user?

Best regards,

Amit Joshi

• 2.  Re: LDAP user authentication
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 21, 2018 09:45 AM

Hello Amit,

What happens when i import a LDAP user?

[GJS] A reference of that user (some of its attribute values, the ldap server it should use to authenticate against, and the port) are noted in the RA database. The users password is not stored.

Does it created/stored locally to CA-RA?

[GJS] It does not create a "local" RA user with that users information. 

How does the authentication work?

[GJS] It uses the attributes of that user (UPN for AD or DN via direct or indirect for non-active directory) along with the registered ldap server and port to attempt authenticating the user with the password supplied when the user attempts a login. 

What happens if i remove the user from LDAP directory? Will it still be able to log on ?

[GJS] No. The attributes for that user will no longer be found so the user's login will fail.

What is a difference between local user and imported user?

[GJS] A local user has its username and password stored in the RA DB. An imported ldap user is a reference of that user so that we can attempt to authenticate against the ldap server it was imported from when the user tries to login.

I hope this helps. 

Cheers,

Gregg