Layer7 API Management

• 1.  upgrade 9.3

Posted Aug 21, 2018 06:16 AM

Hi there,

We are currently using ssg9.1 cr01, looking to upgrade to 9.3. Essentially this could be possibly done in two ways one is directly upgrading from i) 9.1-->9.3 and other approach is as following path ii) 9.1-->9.2-->9.3. I guess one of CA was saying we could do the approach one, hence pls provide your suggestion from your experience which would be efficient and time saying? Note: we are using MAG and OTK 3.5 did customization and planning to upgrade this OTK to 4.3. My opinion is approaching one.pls advice your opinion.we have two clusters with each 6 nodes with total 24 nodes.

• 2.  Re: upgrade 9.3
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 21, 2018 10:27 AM

Hi,

For the upgrade of the gateway software there is no need to install GW 9.2 first before upgrading to 9.3 the upgrade from 9.1 to 9.3 is supported .

If this is a appliance you need apply the platforms patches on right order which include the 9.2 one's.

Please see the upgrade steps in the documentation

https://docops.ca.com/ca-api-gateway/9-3/en/release-notes-9-3/list-of-update-files

Regards

Dirk

• 3.  Re: upgrade 9.3

Posted Aug 21, 2018 01:41 PM

Hi Sharath,

Dirk is correct. I just want to add a few notes to this though for clarification for anyone else running across this thread:

• There are two types of patches/files provided:
      • Application
      • Platform
    • Platform patches are not cumulative and must be installed for every version in between the current and target version.
    • Application patches are cumulative, so only one patch is needed - the target version patch.
    • Both types of patches are highly recommended as part of the upgrade process for the ultimate compatibility and stability of the environment.

As an example of an upgrade from 9.0 to 9.3, you would need to do the following (high level - details are in the documentation):

1. Install platform patch 9.1
    2. Install platform patch 9.2
    3. Install platform patch 9.3
    4. Install application patch 9.3

There is also what we call an Expedited Upgrade Path, documented here, which will allow you to skip a lot of the platform updates (mostly beneficial when jumping major versions or many versions at once): Expedited Appliance Upgrade - CA API Gateway - 9.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

I hope the above makes sense and adds to the examples of such an upgrade process. Please do, as Dirk suggested, follow the instructions in the documentation as those are the most up-to-date and would reflect the supported manner in which to upgrade a Gateway appliance.