Endevor

Expand all | Collapse all

2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation

• 1.  2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation

Posted Aug 22, 2018 02:23 PM

Hey,

We are currently working on our COBOL 6 conversion.  We know which compile parms we want to use, I just want to know whether anyone has any specific caveats from their testing/implementation of COBOL 6?

Also, I just want to find documentation that shows all the fields for the Tables we customize.  i.e. C1DEFLTS, ENCOPTBL, etc.  In the old days, they just listed all the fields and what the possible values meant.  I can't find that anywhere.  Can anyone assist with that? 

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: 2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation

Posted Aug 22, 2018 07:07 PM

I opted to create a complete second set of new generate processors and processor groups with consistently similar names to the originals. There is no extra cost for keeping the version 4 compiler, so I installed version 6.2 to a different load library and the COBOL compile step has a steplib to that new library in the new processors. I hardcode the non-default compile options that vary by stage in the new processors, such as TEST/NOTEST, PARMCHECK, SSRANGE, INITCHECK. I generated everything in an environment created solely for this purpose. I am now moving everything to the next stage. I will then search the listings for the INITCHECK warning message and notify the developers if  it is found for any of their programs. 

I will then define the new processor goups so that the developers will be able to choose which  processor group that they use. We may send them a warning message each time they generate with an version 4 processor group. We will ask the developers to generate all of their cobol programs with the new processor groups, execute the generated program, look for the run time warning messages, and modify their code to eliminate the run time warning messages when any are found.

• 3.  Re: 2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation

Posted Aug 23, 2018 12:44 PM

Thanks very much Mathew.

• 4.  Re: 2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation

Posted Aug 24, 2018 09:41 PM

On more COBOL comment. It may be worthwhile to start by compiling with the old compiler. Ask the developers to remedy compile failures due to changed compile time input components (or to archive what was retired but mistakenly still remains in production). If the developers or other staff are responsible for looking for the run time warnings then you can compile once with the new compiler using INITCHECK,OPT(2) and look for the compile time warning.

• 5.  Re: 2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2018 04:31 AM

Hi Felicity,

The relevant section should be found here and in the sub-sections:

Customization Tables - CA Endevor® SCM - 18.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Let me know if that does the trick, otherwise i'll take another look.

Thanks,

Dan

• 6.  Re: 2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation

Posted Aug 24, 2018 10:49 AM

That’s great.  Now where do I find the same information for the ENCOPTBL, BC1TNEQU, C1UEXITS, ENDICNFG, etc.?  When I’ve searched on ENCOPTBL, nothing like this shows up.  If you can tell me how to find the fields for each one of these tables, that would be great.

Thanks,

Felicity

• 7.  Re: 2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2018 03:25 AM

Hi Felicity,

We have created some knowledge documents for Cobol 6, can you access this list?

https://support.ca.com/us/search.html?q=endevor%2520cobol
    https://support.ca.com/us/search.html?q=Cobol

Regarding the explanation for the Endevor tables, our technical writer team is currently reviewing the doc content and should include explanations for tables.

Up to now, the comments in some tables describe the feature, i.e. ENCOPTBL.

Regards,

Ollivier

• 8.  Re: 2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation

Posted Aug 23, 2018 12:48 PM

Thanks Ollivier,  I do see the list.  Please let me know when the documentation for the tables is out there.  It is extremely frustrating to look through various areas where some of the fields are documented.  I don't know why they removed the information that was there.  I know there is documentation in the tables themselves, but that doesn't always give enough information for all the nuances that may be at your site, or clarification if you're not sure what it is really going to do.

Thanks again.

• 9.  Re: 2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2018 04:31 AM

Hi Felicity,

I'm sharing this post with our technical writer team.

If you need more details about tables, you can open a case to request assistance, this can be the opportunity for us to create more Knowledge documents and of course to enrich our documentation.

Best Regards,

Ollivier

• 10.  Re: 2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 27, 2018 02:54 AM

Felicity.

I hope this will help you. A few links from v18 manual. Start here:

Customization Tables - CA Endevor® SCM - 18.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

ENCOPTBL, (documented in source) 

Optional Feature Table ENCOPTBL - CA Endevor® SCM - 18.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

BC1TNEQU, (in the 'securing' section, used to be the Security manual)

Name Equates Table - CA Endevor® SCM - 18.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

C1UEXITS, ( In section 'exits reference' )

https://docops.ca.com/ca-endevor-SCM/18-0/en/api-and-user-exits-reference/exits-reference 

ENDICNFG (in 'customization table' section.)

ISPF Dialog Options Table ENDICNFG - CA Endevor® SCM - 18.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

BR

Jørgen Dam, 

Principal Consultant, CA, Presale.

• 11.  Re: 2 questions COBOL 6 & Documentation

Posted Aug 27, 2018 03:02 PM

Hi Felicity, This may be helpful to you.  Regards, Phil

Migrating to COBOL 6 Presentation