Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  UC_HOSTCHAR_DEFAULT, default settings

Posted Aug 24, 2018 03:18 PM

When I change a characteristic in client 0 under the UC_HOSTCHAR_DEFAULT, for ex. the FT_Version (I'm going to set it back to 1) do I need to restart the agents for this to take affect?

• 2.  Re: UC_HOSTCHAR_DEFAULT, default settings

Posted Aug 24, 2018 03:36 PM

Hi JeffMuller608908,

I took a look at the UC_HOSTCHAR_DEFAULT and didn't see a key/parameter that was FT_Version (Though I did see a FE_Version)..

On the UC_HOSTCHAR_DEFAULT manual, there is a column that is label "New start required" - If it say "No" then it won't need a restart otherwise it will list what component that need a restarted... for ex. "Agent" 

So if you meant 'FE_version' - Then yes, the agent have to restarted.

• 3.  Re: UC_HOSTCHAR_DEFAULT, default settings

Posted Aug 24, 2018 03:44 PM
      |   view attached

We just upgraded to Version 12.  FT_Version is one of the default characteristics.  I will restart the agents after the change.

• 4.  Re: UC_HOSTCHAR_DEFAULT, default settings
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 24, 2018 06:25 PM

It look like the FT_version is not part of the documentation anymore  but yes it will also need to be restarted similar to the FE_version.

• 5.  Re: UC_HOSTCHAR_DEFAULT, default settings

Posted Aug 30, 2018 05:17 AM

FWIW:

I can confirm having used FT_VERSION in the past. I briefly had one agent where we tried the old protocol for a while due to semi-regular crashes during file transfers.

However, I have also repeatedly been warned against using FT protocol 1. It has been mentioned in each and every "Automic Health Check" even when I had just the "host characteristic" defined and didn't have it assigned to any agents anymore.

Automic seems to be rather strongly of the opinion that the old protocol should not be used, let alone not be used as the default for entire installations.

Hth,

• 6.  Re: UC_HOSTCHAR_DEFAULT, default settings

Posted Aug 31, 2018 10:51 AM
      |   view attached

We tried to use it because issues we are having.  We had problems with it Version 1 and had to resort back to FT_VERSION 2.