Rally Software

• 1.  password expired while logged in

Posted Aug 29, 2018 11:48 AM

I have experienced several times my password will expire while in the middle of working on a user story or other activity. One minute all is working well and then suddenly authentication errors appear preventing me from doing anything. So, I have to close the window in which I'm working and log in using SSO within our company firewall. The SSO works fine, but I get a notice that my password had expired and I have to choose a new one. What in the world is that about where a password expires in mid-session and basically kicks you out? It's bad enough that a password can expire in the middle of the day rather than at midnight of that day, but to expire it while you're working and kick you out is dumber than dumb.

• 2.  Re: password expired while logged in

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2018 12:17 PM

Hi Allan,

I can see your user is in good standing (not locked, not disabled). I can see your subscription allows authentication either directly to Rally (at rally1.rallydev.com) or through your SSO (at your SSO url). I also see the password policies are not set to expire this short and in the way you describe.

I would suggest you open a support case for this. I think it requires more investigation. I do sense it may be an issue with your username only since we have not received similar problems from other users in your subscription. That suggests perhaps something on the SSO side for your username may not be accurate. I realize you say you can work with the SSO. 

Anyways, I don't want to go longer about this, also considering this is a public page.

My recommendations are:

- Try to use both methods of authentication and see if the problem only occurs in one of them. I suspect it will only happen if you use the SSO, but you may need to take some time over a few days and confirm it.

- Find out how other users in your immediate team work, are they authenticating to Rally directly or via the SSO.

- Bring this to the attention of your subscription admins and your SSO admins and see if your SSO team can troubleshoot it , perhaps by comparing your user with a team colleague.

With all that said, from our standpoint we shall want to work this by a support case.

Please let us know if you can open one.

Thanks,

Sagi

• 3.  Re: password expired while logged in

Posted Aug 29, 2018 12:57 PM

- This set of circumstances have been occurring for quite some time. The problem occurs both when there were two separate log on processes as well as with the SSO logon process. So, when it occurred again today I was fit to be tied and had to lodge a complaint/feedback.

- Most people use the SSO method and a few of them experience the same thing I do. One person has a work around reset their password earlier than the CA Agile cycle so they don't get the password expiration problem. I would suspect others are doing the and not bring it to anyone's attention, as they might feel not much would be done.

- I opened a ticket with our sport staff months ago and they told me it was a problem with the CA Agile site and not our system or process.

Please open a case, if you like, as I'm not sure how to do that on this site.

Thanks,

Allan

• 4.  Re: password expired while logged in

Posted Aug 29, 2018 03:42 PM

Allan, FYI if you ever need to contact Support in the future, you can just hit the Contact Support link in Agile Central. You'll have to basically agree to the Terms of Service, then you'll automatically be logged in to the CA Support site.