Rally Software

• 1.  Performance improvement for CA Agile Central REST API for .NET

Posted Aug 30, 2018 10:04 AM

Hi Team,

I am using ".NET Toolkit for CA Agile Central REST API" for pulling Usertory realted data from Rally (CA Agile Central), It is taking longer time for pulling 200K records from Rally.

I am pulling usestory parent data such as Initiative information and Feature Information and its child data such as Tasks information. I need to do 4 to 5 iterations in the script.

An average it taking 60 mintues for 5K.

Please help me or suggest me any performance improvement things.

Thanks,
    Anil Yerroju
    DFS Team

• 2.  Re: Performance improvement for CA Agile Central REST API for .NET

Posted Aug 30, 2018 11:09 AM

We are pulling lowest data from Agile Central with all details till portfolio item for our reporting purpose.

Task (Hours, Owner etc) > User Story (all basic details and parent) > Feature (basic details and parent) > Initiative (basic details and parent)

We know that we need to go through lots of looping to get to the lower and higher level details but this is important for our organizational reporting  to see where we are since last 3 years. It is huge data to pull from API so definitely need some performance improvements. Any better solution?

• 3.  Re: Performance improvement for CA Agile Central REST API for .NET
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 30, 2018 01:38 PM

If reporting is the end requirement, it might be best to use to DB connector to extract data from Agile Central and dump into a database.  The connector uses standard WSAPI queries to filter data and can pull pretty much all entities such as work item tables, user object tables, project tables, etc.

Once that data is dumped into database tables, you can construct SQL queries or point reporting engines to the database and perform your data joins there.

I'm happy to discuss this in further detail if this sounds like a route you want to investigate.

• 4.  Re: Performance improvement for CA Agile Central REST API for .NET

Posted Aug 31, 2018 09:03 AM

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick response. 

Can you please provide us reference for "How to use DB Connector for Rally".
    What are the Data bases we can use for loading/dumping data.

• 5.  Re: Performance improvement for CA Agile Central REST API for .NET

Posted Aug 31, 2018 09:19 AM

Hi David,

I have checked below reference for "DB Connector" usage.  We don't have any data base installed in our machine currently 

Please suggest us any alternate way to achieve this. 

CA Agile Central Database Connector (MS SQL Server) | CA Agile Central Help 

Thanks,

Anil Yerroju

• 6.  Re: Performance improvement for CA Agile Central REST API for .NET

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 07, 2018 03:11 PM

Hi Anil,

You can run the connector in a mode where it only outputs to CSV files.  You can, however install the open source database Postgresql and our connector will dump data into that database platform.