Service Virtualization

• 1.  Automating Web Application using CA LISA or Selenium?

Posted Aug 30, 2018 04:27 AM

How good CA LISA is in testing web-based user interfaces. we have license for CA LISA but at the same time we have option to go for Selenium. I know selenium will need some level of expertise in coding though that can be achieved by learning but I want to know whether CA LISA web automation using selenium builder is effective and its not just a record and playback.

• 2.  Re: Automating Web Application using CA LISA or Selenium?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 30, 2018 07:03 AM

How complex is your  web-based  user interface? 

For testing,   Install Selenium Builder, Record the test scripts in Selenium Builder, which is supported only in Mozilla Firefox. Then import test scripts from Selenium Builder to DevTest Solutions. 

During playback of the test scripts in DevTest, you can run the test in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Internet Explorer. You can also run the test in a local or remote browser. You might  have to do some Xpath manipulation on certain steps.   

For more details, start with this documentation  in DevTest 10.3.0

https://docops.ca.com/devtest-solutions/10-3/en/reference/test-step-descriptions/selenium-integration-steps

Other links: 

Integrating CA Application Test with Selenium Builder - YouTube 

Webcast Recap: DevTest &  Selenium 

• 3.  Re: Automating Web Application using CA LISA or Selenium?

Posted Aug 30, 2018 09:33 AM

Thanks for the response Abraham. I had gone through the PDF from Webcast and was able to Automate couple of pages as well. But in Selenium like we do create a class file having all the page properties and methods, recall the class file in the tests and if something changes on the UI side we just go and update in one class file, is that kind of approach is possible in LISA? Do you have any suggestions for me on this?

And as far as complexity is considered Our application is based on Angular.js. It does have few pages where we display the user reports in the UI itself as a PDF. Not sure if we can validate the data presented in the pdf. Also the data we display on most of the pages such as User info page it is in tabular form and we need to validate the correctness of that data.

Do you think for such kind of application we should go ahead with CA LISA or Selenium will be a better option?