AnsweredAssumed Answered

Way to get a Date Diff to show in Days/hours/Mins?

Question asked by vtleogal2 on Aug 30, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 6, 2018 by vtleogal2

I have read every single post I can find on calculated fields and some on dates, but I have yet to find a firm solution.  Is the below scenario possible? If so, it is a gel script to populate the field, can calculated fields do it (so far I have no been successful in this)? Do I need multiple fields to represent it?

Scenario:

We have two dates. I want to be able to calculate the difference in those dates; however, the response could be days, hours, or only minutes of a combination. This must show in another field, so that it can be used in views/reports as well as on the screen.

Example:

System Down  9/18/2018  @ 10:00 AM

System Up  9/20/2018 @  11:30 AM

Result : total downtime is 2 Days, 1 hr and 30 mins

OR

some records may be System down 9/18/2018 @ 10 AM  system up at 9/18/2018 10:30 am. Total downtime is 30 mins

So there are variations.

Is this even feasible? Oddly, when I try a calculated field, it actually accepts/validates unit as all three (Day, Hour, Minute) but no matter what combination I used, it only populates the first unit value listed. Can the calculated expression be manually entered to make this work?  Would a gel script/process do this  (I am not skilled at that, but at least I would like to understand the feasibility of it)

Version 15.4.1

SQL

This is a custom subobject on the project object.

thanks!

Lynn

Outcomes