DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Does anyone have a solution for monitoring UNIX/Linux systems, and detecting when a file system or disk goes into Read-Only mode ?

Posted Aug 30, 2018 02:32 PM

We are running int a situation , on UNIX and Linux systems, where a file system and/or a disk goes into Read-Only mode. 

At this point, most system/application functionality will stop because the system can no longer write to a file, for example. Monitoring for this situation difficult. Once the systems gets into R/O mode, most often we cannot log in to the system in order to check anything, such as log outputs , to detect this R/O situation. 

Does anyone have any ideas for a solution ?

Thanks.

David

• 2.  Re: Does anyone have a solution for monitoring UNIX/Linux systems, and detecting when a file system or disk goes into Read-Only mode ?

Posted Aug 31, 2018 01:58 PM

If the mode change to read only is recorded in the system 'messages' or some other log, then logmon can monitor that log for the message string indicating the change. .

logmon (Log Monitoring) - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 3.  Re: Does anyone have a solution for monitoring UNIX/Linux systems, and detecting when a file system or disk goes into Read-Only mode ?

Posted Sep 07, 2018 05:16 AM

Hi dmdistel ,

Were you able to test logmon as per David's suggestion? Did it help?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Octavie

• 4.  Re: Does anyone have a solution for monitoring UNIX/Linux systems, and detecting when a file system or disk goes into Read-Only mode ?

Posted Sep 12, 2018 08:44 AM

Thank you to those who have offered suggestions.

I am currently working with my UNIX team on various options and testing functionality and results.

Thanks.

• 5.  Re: Does anyone have a solution for monitoring UNIX/Linux systems, and detecting when a file system or disk goes into Read-Only mode ?

Posted Sep 12, 2018 08:48 AM

I would appreciate if you post your results and the solution you eventually come up with.  We need to do the same thing, but I have not started this task yet.

Thanks,

Chris

• 6.  Re: Does anyone have a solution for monitoring UNIX/Linux systems, and detecting when a file system or disk goes into Read-Only mode ?

Posted Sep 10, 2018 10:39 AM

In mine scenario i use an indirect method, that is check the disk IO with the VMware probe, if the metric goes bellow the baseline it flags me an alarm

• 7.  Re: Does anyone have a solution for monitoring UNIX/Linux systems, and detecting when a file system or disk goes into Read-Only mode ?

Posted Sep 10, 2018 03:30 PM

Use logmon to run a script.

In that script, use touch to create a file. Then test if the file exists (if -f) and has a current timestamp (find +mtime). Then remove the file.

If you find no file or a file with an old timestamp, the filesystem is read only.

-Garin

• 8.  Re: Does anyone have a solution for monitoring UNIX/Linux systems, and detecting when a file system or disk goes into Read-Only mode ?

Posted Sep 12, 2018 10:59 AM