DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  How many profile we can create in RSP probe

Posted Sep 05, 2018 02:37 AM

Hi All,

How many profile will RSP probe can support.

Do we have any limit defined in it ?

Regards

Pratiman Chaddha 

• 2.  Re: How many profile we can create in RSP probe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 05:48 AM

Hi. I am looking into this for you but it is not an easy question to answer.

I am aware of customers that have several hundred profiles configured and others who struggle with over 50.

I am aware of one customer who monitors 2000 servers collecting CPU. Memory and Disk

What you are monitoring has a huge impact. Monitoring processes for example rapidly decreases the performance of the probe.

Also you have to consider if you are using a dedicated RSP probe or not and what resources are available to the probe.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/rsp-remote-system-probe/rsp-im-configuration#rspIMConfiguration-ConfigureGeneralProperties

documents that the default max number of profiles is 200

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/rsp-remote-system-probe/rsp-im-configuration#rspIMConfiguration-AddaHostProfile

notes that when configuring the discovery method for a profile there is a limit of 250 IPv4 addresses or 50 IPv6 addresses

• 3.  Re: How many profile we can create in RSP probe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 07:38 AM

Let me add one more.

Windows Event log monitoring is a resource intensive work for RSP probe.

If scale is large, I would not recommend Windows Event log monitoring.

• 4.  Re: How many profile we can create in RSP probe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 08:02 AM

• 5.  Re: How many profile we can create in RSP probe
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 11:20 AM

Hi Pratiman, Yu, Rich,

In my past experiences with the rsp probe, I have found in general that the probe can handle approx. 200 profiles. I have heard other reports that it can support up to 300 or much more but I have not witnessed this in a few larger global environments where I've performed rsp troubleshooting and analysis for customers where one or more or a set of profiles were failing.

Normally, I set the following in the rsp.cfg:

- Max data collection threads to 300
    - Running threads Exit timeout to 180
    - WMI Retry Delay set to 1200
    - WMI Connection timeout set to 600
    - SSH Connection Timeout to 30
    - Command timeout to 120

Then, if a single or small set of profiles/machines fails intermittently, try deleting those machines from the rsp instance where they are failing and deploy another rsp probe instance and add them to it, to distribute the rsp profile processing. Cold start (Deactivate-Activate) rsp and test again.

In general, after testing a few rsp probe instances and determining the best configuration that ensures seamless profile processing, you can distribute an rsp probe package to change the settings on all machines where rsp is installed and keep the number of profiles at ~200 or less.

Best Regards,

Steve