DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Logmon monitoring for a file whose name is changing

Posted Sep 10, 2018 01:14 PM

Hi Folks,

We need to monitor a logfile which has date embedded in the filename and the logfile is genrated on a daily basis.

Logfilename which has to be monitored is  testObj_14-Feb-2014.log  

I am using the below regex pattern while browsing for the file but it is not working.

D:\Logs\testObj_%d-%b-%Y.log

Can anyone please let me know if the regex pattern am using is correct?

Also do i need select any other option for doing the regex based file filtering?

Any pointers would be helpful.

Many Thanks,

Vineesha.

• 2.  Re: Logmon monitoring for a file whose name is changing

Posted Sep 10, 2018 03:19 PM

You need to make sure the pattern flags you are using are supported on your OS. the Linux and Windows options are different.

Set the log level to 5 and you'll see the expanded logs in the output.

And "not working" needs some more detail - what specifically isn;t working?

-Garin

• 3.  Re: Logmon monitoring for a file whose name is changing

Posted Sep 10, 2018 03:32 PM

Hi Garin,

Thanks for your response.

I am trying to setup this monitoring on windows.

can you please share any links which tells what patterns are supported on windows.

I am trying to search for a string name"Error" in the daily logfile that is generated.I have kept the match expression in format block and watcher and when tried to test the profile the watcher does not return any result for my intended string as because its not able to filter out the right file with regex pattern which i have put while browsing the file.

Regards,

vineesha.

• 4.  Re: Logmon monitoring for a file whose name is changing

Posted Sep 10, 2018 05:02 PM

logmon help is all available online: logmon Advanced IM Configuration - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 

You mention format block and then you mention looking for "Error" in a line - you only need to define format blocks if your log file is not one line of text per message. Oracle is an excellent example where it's logs are wrapped at 80 characters so one line of message in an oracle log might have multiple carriage returns in it. Most logs you won't need to define format blocks.

How do you know it's not able to filter out the right file with regex pattern? Can you post the logmon log output showing this?