DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  computer reboot alarm -Use cases

Posted Sep 12, 2018 12:34 PM

Hi All,

How computer reboot helps you people ,really it is helpful ? I don't think it is effective  because already robot inactive  is in place ,it is just a information alarms which notifies after reboot .

• 2.  Re: computer reboot alarm -Use cases

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2018 05:34 AM

I have worked with a customer who needed the "Computer Reboot" alarm to ensure that the end system is rebooted everyday prior to their branch opening. If they did not receive the alarm before a certain time, the operator had to manually go and reboot the system.

This was to ensure their application runs efficiently immediately after branch opening as they had experienced resource issues when the systems had been kept continuously on without a reboot.

Robot inactive can occur for various reasons and is not necessarily because of a reboot.

• 3.  Re: computer reboot alarm -Use cases

Posted Sep 13, 2018 05:36 AM

In my opinion, both are different. It is not necessary that you will get a robot inactive alarm once the server reboots.

And robot inactive alarm can be a cause of communication errors between the robot and hub in addition to actual server down or errors with nimsoft watcher service. So robot inactive alarms get generated because of a number of different reasons whereas computer reboot just indicates an actual reboot of the server.

So it really depends on one's requirement if reboot alerts are actually actionable or not.

But in our environment, it really helps us in investigations and rca's to be true

• 4.  Re: computer reboot alarm -Use cases

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2018 07:01 AM

One careful point of reboot alarm is - This is not supposed to be cleared by the other alarm.

Because this is event driven alarm, such as logmon/ntevl.

In threshold based alarms such as CPU spike, it might be auto cleared when breaching status is repaired.

So unless this has been acknowledged this will exist forever.