Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Skip workflow task when it's not finished until given time

Posted Sep 13, 2018 05:36 AM

Is it possible to skip a workflow task when it's not finished until given point of time?

Example:

Example workflow - latest dependency

I would like to skip task NOP.3 (3) when WF.FIVE.MINS (2) doesn't end until 10:46 in the example above.

I tried to use dependencies tab to achieve this. Anyway, it still waits for WF.FIVE.MINS (2) to finish. Documentation reads that "At the latest" dependency is related to Estimated Runtime so it is possibly wrong approach.

In other words - I'd like to wait for WF.FIVE.MINS (2) until given time and then continue with the workflow.

Is it even possible?

We are running AE 11.2.

• 2.  Re: Skip workflow task when it's not finished until given time

Posted Oct 12, 2018 04:30 PM

You could use a preconditon rule on your NOP.3 task that looks like this (I coded my example for 10:46PM);

If running past midnight is a possibility, then I would add a rule that says it should not run if the current time is less than 6am, or something like that, whatever is reasonable for your use-case just to be safe.

• 3.  Re: Skip workflow task when it's not finished until given time

Posted Oct 15, 2018 07:09 AM

Thank you, Pete.

Shame on me - I forgot to include one piece of information. I would like to skip NOP.3 immediately when time is up.

My actual solution uses Schedule to start a script when decision time is reached.

Script does:

1. Check if WF.FIVE.MINS finished, if yes, do nothing, else:
    2. Deactivate NOP.3
    3. Immediately start next workflow step

It is clumsy but it works.

Best regards,

Libor