DX NetOps

• 1.  NetOps alarm view customization

Posted Sep 13, 2018 12:34 PM

We are using CAPC (NetOps) simply for a web based alarm view for Spectrum.  We are not using CAPM.

I am now trying to get some things setup so that we can start moving our users off Spectrum OneClick and remove the Java requirement on their systems.  Do do this I need to be able to setup the system so that they only see the items that they are interested in (groups/filters/...) and that they can perform the functions that they need to those alarms, such as custom menu picks to perform actions.

Are there any best practices information, or docs focuses specifically at CAPC?  I have been going through the CA Performance Management - 3.6 docs.

Question 1 - Setting up their views to see only what they want.  It appears that what I need to do is to setup a combination of Groups and Filters.  However, I have run into some issues doing this.  Since I only have Spectrum as a data source, Groups don't seem to populate.  The only usable groups that I get are Spectrum Global Collections.  When I try to setup a group by defining a rule containing all devices with names that start with some combination, I don't get any items in the group.  I assume that is due to us not having CAPM.  So, is there any way to setup custom groups o Spectrum objects without using Spectrum Global Collections?

Question 2 - Setting up filters, It appears that the "conditions" are "AND"ed together, any way to do a combination of Ands and Ors like I have in Spectrum?  The items that I can choose for matching seems to be a specific set of attributes for CAPC, is that customizable or extendable?

Question 3 - Can I customize the menu selection when an alarm is picked?  We have some of our internal tools that we would like to send an alarm to.

The NetOps alarm view is a big help.  Not having to have a big clunky Java view, with the associated security risks and IT management requirements on the java releases is a big plus.  We already are building excitement in house for this, and that will bring more questions.  

But of course, you give me a little, I'll push for more, just my nature.

• 2.  Re: NetOps alarm view customization

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 17, 2018 04:52 PM

Hello William,

1: What if you create custom Groups where membership is based on a rule pointing to the 'matching' Spectrum GC that is synced to CAPM? Note that a Spectrum GC sync'd to CAPM Inventory will only show members where those models are also synced via the domain based GC created in Spectrum via the integration.

2: Correct, they are AND'd together. No Or option is available at this time.

3: I don't believe the customization sought exists. What can be done with the CAPM Alarm Views is documented here.

Alarms View - CA Performance Management - 3.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,

Michael