DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Delete Devices in USM not working

Posted Sep 14, 2018 10:48 AM

We are running UIM 8.5.1.  I have devices in USM that are not real, like ones with the name "0.0.0.0".  I am trying to remove them by following the directions on this document:

Delete Devices in USM - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.5.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

I select one device like this and then select "Delete Selected" from the action menu.  I keep "Prevent Rediscovery" and all other boxes in the form checked.  When I click "OK", the device disappears from the inventory grid.  A little while later, I log in again and the device is back.  I log in as the customer using their contact login and the device is still in USM and the CABI Inventory Dashboard. 

What am I missing?  How can I clean up these junk devices?  I have no idea how they got in there in the first place.

• 2.  Re: Delete Devices in USM not working
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 14, 2018 03:22 PM

Perhaps you can try to track the entry back to its source

select * from CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM where name like '0.0.0.0' -- or maybe where ip like '0.0.0.0'
    select * from CM_DEVICE where cs_id = '<cs_id from above>'
    select * from CM_DEVICE where dev_id = '<dev_src_id if not null from above>' -- if the dev_src_id is null its the source

ex.

Track Device Back to its Source

Once you find the source, perhaps check the probe configs and try cleaning the niscache.

regards,

Greg

• 3.  Re: Delete Devices in USM not working

Posted Sep 18, 2018 08:29 PM

Greg,

Thanks for your help.  I did what you suggested and it did pinpoint the robot involved.  I dropped the niscache_clean package on it, let it do its thing,  and restarted the robot.  I tried the delete in USM again and it still came back even thought I checked the "prevent rediscovery" checkbox.  Do I need to stop discovery_server and/or data_engine and restart them along with the niscache_clean?  Something is cached somewhere and I can't seem to find it.

-- Dick

• 4.  Re: Delete Devices in USM not working

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 08:44 PM

Hi 

If you did the "prevent rediscovery" checkbox it should be reflected in the below csv file

A list of excluded devices is stored in the file Nimsoft\probes\services\discovery_server\excluded_devices.csv

Delete Devices in USM - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.5.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 5.  Re: Delete Devices in USM not working

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 09:56 PM

Note - probe_name in the excluded_devices.csv is considered for matching.

For example, if excluded_devices.csv contains device AAA with probe_name = niscache,

it won't skip if device AAA is produced by non-niscache probes. (discovery_agent,snmpcollector,nfa_inventory and so on)