DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

• 1.  CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Sep 14, 2018 01:50 PM

Hi Expert,

I'm doing a test CA APM 10.7 and DxC in my dev environment, before I'm going to deploy it in my customer environment. I use it to monitor .NET application.

My questions:

1. Why the Business Transactions link does not exist in my Notebook? I only saw Metric Tree and Performance Time Comparison there (See screenshot as attached). While in the WebView, the Business Transactions are listed in the Home Page. Looks the DxC is working with no issues.

2. I test the APMIA to monitor the IIS WebServer. I already configured the webserver agent with following the steps are mentioned in the docops. But I only getting several metrics of IIS Webserver under Infrastructure agent, they are: Availability Status, Reporting Interval, ServerURL, ServerVersion (Please see screenshot2 as attached)

Here is the configuration that I put in to WebServerConfig.xml

<WebServer Type="Microsoft-IIS" Enabled="true" ServerURL="http://192.168.10.133:80" DisplayName="Rio-IIS" MetricsURL="iisperf"/>

And here is the log I received after I start the APMIA agent:

[IntroscopeAgent.WebserverMonitor.WebServerMonitorEngine] Could not get performance metrics from server : http://192.168.10.133:80/iisperf

I expect I can get more detail information of my IIS performance.

Are there any steps that I missed in the configuration?

Need your advice.

Regards,

Rio

• 2.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2018 04:17 PM

To monitor IIS, you will need to install a small VBScript which will run as a service to collect the performance data.

A web page is created from this data and presented to WS Monitor to return back to APM.

This is similar to how we monitor Apache-based servers, but they don't require the additional step to gather the performance data.

Make sure you go back and look at how to enable IIS monitoring with WS Monitor extension for APMIA.

• 3.  RE: Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Nov 14, 2023 01:46 PM
    Edited by Daniel Alberto Quiroz Mendez Nov 14, 2023 01:46 PM

Hi Haru.

We are trying to replicate this solution in our enviroment,  but the principal issues is that i don't have the VBScript. I would be very grateful if you give us guidance. THANKS

• 4.  RE: Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2023 04:16 PM

Follow the instructions here: https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/dx-apm-agents/SaaS/infrastructure-agent/web-server-monitoring/configure-web-servers-to-publish-statistics.html

------------------------------
    Hiko Davis
    Solution Engineer
    IMS Division | Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2023 11:21 PM
    VBScript for IIS

Hiko Davis
    Solution Engineer
    IMS Division | Broadcom

• 6.  RE: Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Nov 21, 2023 08:54 AM

Thanks, after that i configure and run the scripts. the VBScipt remove the file .html that i created. I can´t publish the iis statics in this moment. I think that is a configuration. ¿can yo help me?

• 7.  RE: Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2023 11:30 AM

Sure. I've found your support ticket which is funny because I've been having the same conversation with the support person on the backend here.

I'll reach out to you directly to resolve this.

Hiko Davis
    Solution Engineer
    IMS Division | Broadcom

• 8.  RE: Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Nov 23, 2023 09:09 AM

Thanks!!!

I am very grateful

• 9.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Sep 14, 2018 08:45 PM

Hi Haruhiko,

Thank you for the pointing out the steps that I missed.

Now, I have configured the VBScript services to publish Statistics for IIS. The services is running now.

The browser is able to loaded the IISPerfStats.

I change my current WebServerConfig.xml become:

<WebServer Type="Microsoft-IIS" Enabled="true" ServerURL="http://192.168.10.133:80" DisplayName="Rio-IIS" MetricsURL="IISPerfStats"/>

I rerun the APMIA services.

But I'm still not getting additional metrics. When I check the APMI logs, i'm getting error message like this:

Unable to detect expected metrics for the server Rio-IIS. Please check whether the base type of this server and performance metrics url are correct or not.

Are there the steps that I missed?

• 10.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2018 10:35 PM

Is APMIA installed on a Linux server? If so, try using cURL or wget to see if you can fetch the URL.

If not, then there may be a firewall/proxy blocking you.

In the Investigator under the Managed Servers, does "Rio-IIS" show as available, but just with no performance data, or does it show not available?

• 11.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Sep 14, 2018 11:30 PM

Hi Hiko,

Since I use IIS, then the APMIA is installed on Windows Server 2012.

Yes, Rio-IIS shows the Availability Metric and several infos  (Reporting Interval, ServerURL, ServerVersion ) with no performance data

Please see the screenshot below

regards

Rio

• 12.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2018 11:40 PM

Since this running on Windows, have you validated you can reach the stats page from where the agent is?

Also, try to run the agent locally to see if you can get results; if you can't from the remote, but from the local, then it's likely some sort of firewall/proxy issue.

• 13.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Sep 15, 2018 12:04 AM

Hi Haruhiko,

The firewall off already.

I can loaded the result of statistic page from both local and remote.

From Local:

From remote:

The APMIA Agent is installed on the same host where the .Net Agent was installed.

My EM was installed on separated server.

My EM can receive the metrics from .Net Agent. Please see screenshot below:

regards,

Rio

• 14.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Sep 16, 2018 11:53 AM

Hi Hiko,

Finally I resolved the issues why the IIS Webservices performance metrics did not available.

I changed the Web Server Configuration from:

<WebServer Type="Microsoft-IIS" Enabled="true" ServerURL="http://http://192.168.10.133:80" DisplayName="Rio-IIS" MetricsURL="IISPerfStats"/>

to

<WebServer Type="Microsoft-IIS" Enabled="true" ServerURL="http://192.168.10.133/IISPerfStats" DisplayName="Rio-IIS" MetricsURL="iis-stats.html"/>

the IISPerfStats is my IIS Virtual Directory which contains of IIS stats page iis-stats.html. As the document said that the MetricsURL contains of the customized stats page location in the Metrics URL. So the iis-stats.html should be the parameter of MetricsURL instead IISPerfStats.

Here is the result:

The Performance Metrics are shows up right now.

I think the step in this URL Configure Web Server Monitoring - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation should be adjusted. 

Now, the second case has been resolved. The first case has not resolved.

Need advise please.

thank you

Rio

• 15.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2018 06:24 PM

Hi Rio,

Good to hear that you resolved the problem. 

Is the deviation from the documentation perhaps due to iis-stats.html not being set to be your default page for virtual directory IISPerfStats per this documentation page which also has the VBScript advised by Hiko:

Configure Web Servers to Publish Statistics - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentati… 

For your first case:

1. Why the Business Transactions link does not exist in my Notebook? I only saw Metric Tree and Performance Time Comparison there (See screenshot as attached). While in the WebView, the Business Transactions are listed in the Home Page. Looks the DxC is working with no issues.

My colleague Gordon_Preston has picked up your Support case 01191955 and will reply.

A possible root cause is not having EM integrated with AOP ("Agile Operations Platform")
    See KB KB000109861:

"No Business Transactions tab in CA APM Experience View and Analysis Notebook"
    https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/no-business-transactions-tab-in-experience-view-and-analysis-notebook/kb000109861

Perhaps you would like to create a separate Community thread for this question because it is a completely different area to the IIS Web Server monitoring problem - it will then be more easily visible in results for future searches by community users.

Thanks & Regards,

Lynn

• 16.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Sep 16, 2018 09:42 PM

Hi Lynn,

I have received the response from Gordon pertaining my first case. 

Regards

Rio

• 17.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Sep 21, 2018 05:21 PM

I am having the same issue w/ agent v10.5.2 SP2 (my APM infra is also the same).

When I go to http://GLDASxxxxx:XXXXX/iisperfstats on the browser of that same server, I get the following:

First I created C:\innetpug\APM_PPWebServer (who should creeate this folder? Me or the user that performs the following?)

I've gone through the process of going to IIS Manager and 

• creating a new Virtual Dir called "IISPerfStats"  under "Default Web Site" 
    • under that virtual directory, double clicking "Default Document" 
    • creating "iis-stats.html" 
    • under that virtual directory, double clicking "Authentication" icon
    • "enabling" Anonymous Authentication

This is supposed to create "iis-stats.html" file under C:\inetpub\APM_PPWebServer but it never did.

My config looked like this (masking IP & port for security reasons):

<WebServer Type="Microsoft-IIS" Enabled="true" ServerURL="http://10.xx.xx.xx:XXXXX" DisplayName="LifecycleOne_Proxy-Staging" MetricsURL="iisperfstats"/>

My logs show the following:

9/21/18 03:49:22 PM CDT [ERROR] [WebServerMonitor] Could not get performance metrics from server : http://10.xx.xx.xx:XXXXX/iisperfstats
    9/21/18 03:49:23 PM CDT [INFO] [WebServerMonitor] Loading web server configuration file...

then I change the config to (used hostname instead of IP):

<WebServer Type="Microsoft-IIS" Enabled="true" ServerURL="http://GLDASxxxxx:XXXXX" DisplayName="LifecycleOne_Proxy-Staging" MetricsURL="iisperfstats"/>

then my logs show the following:

9/21/18 03:55:23 PM CDT [WARN] [WebServerMonitor] RefreshFrequencyInSeconds is either not available or empty for http://GLDASxxxxx:XXXXX. Defaulting it to 15 seconds
    9/21/18 03:55:23 PM CDT [INFO] [WebServerMonitor] Loaded 1 valid web server configuration(s).
    9/21/18 03:55:38 PM CDT [WARN] [WebServerMonitor] Unable to detect expected metrics for the server LifecycleOne_Proxy-Staging. Please check whether the base type of this server and performance metrics url are correct or not.

• 18.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Sep 22, 2018 07:49 AM

Hi mparikh72,

What I did was:

1. Open a blank text and named it as iis-stats.html.

2. Save this file under inetpub folder. (On this case, I created a subfolder folder named wily). So my iis-stats.html path is C:\inetpub\wily

3. Open IIS Manager

4. Create a Virtual Directory and named it as IISPerfStats

5. Edit the Virtual Directory and put the Physical path as C:\inetpub\wily

6. Click OK

7. Try and make sure the IISPerfStats is successfully loaded in browser and shows information like this:

8. Open the WebServerConfig.xml (the location is under apmia\extensions\Webserver-monitor\config, and put this property. 

WebServer Type="Microsoft-IIS" Enabled="true" ServerURL="http://192.***.***.***/IISPerfStats" DisplayName="Rio-IIS" MetricsURL="iis-stats.html"/>

9. Do not forget to Publish Statistics for IIS (Configure Web Servers to Publish Statistics - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentati… )

10. The last is restart the APMIAAgent.

Regards,

Rio

• 19.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Sep 25, 2018 09:59 AM

SusSatriyoAdiSuryo4211615

Yeah, tried that already but still that .html file is not getting populated.

• 20.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 25, 2018 02:39 PM

Manish, what errors does VBScript report when you run the script manually?

• 21.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Sep 26, 2018 11:21 AM

who (which userid) should create (if need to do it manually) the iis-stats.html file? The userid I use is a AD service account id which I used to install the agent.

The IIS mgmt is done by another individual who I am working with. He is the one that's creating Virtual Dir and then the .html file w/n IIS Manager.

Is that the way to do it?

Thanks

Manish

• 22.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2018 02:41 PM

The account needs to be able to connect to WMI to gather the performance data, so you'll need to determine if your AD account for the service can do that.

• 23.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 27, 2018 11:57 AM

Manish,

Did you get a chance to run the VBScript on its own to see why it can't generate the data?

Does the path in the script match the location of your virtual directory and the HTML name?

• 24.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Sep 28, 2018 11:28 AM

Haven't had a chance to do that yet. Waiting on the app owner for assistance on his side for IIS Manager tasks.

• 25.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Oct 03, 2018 04:57 PM

Ok, so I have gotten the most of the config done except for the following:

Eidit “E:\apps\CA\IntroscopeAgent10.1\IIS_Gateway\PPWebServers\jsw-3.2.3\conf\wrapper.conf wrapper.conf” file to provide path to java. (First copy wrapper.conf to wrapper.conf.orig)

# Java Application

wrapper.java.command=E:\Projects\Cognos\jdk1.6.0_32\jre\bin\java.exe

Since no java is installed on these Windows Servers and when I perform a search for "java.exe" the following results show:

Could I use one of them? How do I determine what version of java they are (on a windows box)?

Thanks

Manish

• 26.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Oct 03, 2018 05:23 PM

Here are the java versions for the above mentioned search results:

E:\Program Files\ibm\cognosgw\analytics\jre\bin>java -version
    java version "1.8.0"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pwa6480sr4fp10-20170727_01(SR4 FP10))
    IBM J9 VM (build 2.8, JRE 1.8.0 Windows Server 2016 amd64-64 Compressed References 20170722_357405 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
    J9VM - R28_20170722_0201_B357405
    JIT - tr.r14.java_20170722_357405
    GC - R28_20170722_0201_B357405_CMPRSS
    J9CL - 20170722_357405)
    JCL - 20170726_01 based on Oracle jdk8u144-b01

E:\oracle\product\12.2.0\client_1\jdk\bin>java -version
    java version "1.8.0_91"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-b61)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.91-b61, mixed mode)

E:\oracle\product\12.2.0\client_1\jdk\jre\bin>java -version
    java version "1.8.0_91"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-b61)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.91-b61, mixed mode)

• 27.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Oct 03, 2018 05:57 PM

Ok, I've got the agent to work but now the iisperf-stats.html is the issue. I'll have to work with the web server owner and make sure the stats are being published (according to them it is).

• 28.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 03, 2018 06:36 PM

Hi Manish,

Does the URL ../IISPerfStats/iis-stats.html also fail ?

Thanks

Lynn

• 29.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Oct 03, 2018 06:55 PM

Sorry, I saw this comment afterwards.

• 30.  Re: CA APM 10.7 Monitor WebServer IIS

Posted Oct 03, 2018 06:55 PM

Finally, I got the agent to work.

Seems like unlike the v10.1 agent config where the property was:

<WebServer Type="Microsoft-IIS" Enabled="true" ServerURL="http://10.xx.xx.xx" DisplayName="Cognos-Gateway" MetricsURL="iisperfstats"/>

for v10.5.2 SP2, I had to use:

<WebServer Type="Microsoft-IIS" Enabled="true" ServerURL="http://10.xx.xx.xx/iisperfstats" DisplayName="Cognos-Gateway" MetricsURL="iis-stats.html"/>

Not sure why b/c we set up the IIS exactly the same way. Go figure!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the inputs and assistance.

Cheers

Manish