DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Simple regex statement help

Posted Sep 14, 2018 03:53 PM

HI All,

I am scanning a regular text file with the logmon to find a simple phrase "timeout for the requested operation has expired".  When I use the following expression for the regex statement I seem to get  mixed results:

/.*timeout for the requested operation has expired.*/     Is this the correct format to achieve what I need?

It seems that different probes accept different formats of regex expressions.

TIA 

• 2.  Re: Simple regex statement help

Posted Sep 14, 2018 06:01 PM

Yes, not every pattern is a regex pattern. And in some cases the type of pattern the probe interprets it as is implied by the way it is entered.

For logmon, your pattern is OK. One thing that I'd suggest is to replace the spaces with \s but it shouldn't change the behavior.

It would be good to explain what "mixed results" actually means.

-Garin

• 3.  Re: Simple regex statement help

Posted Sep 14, 2018 06:09 PM

Sorry, I meant I tried the format I mentioned, as well as putting periods (.) between each of the words.  I wasn't sure whether or not that was working either.

• 4.  Re: Simple regex statement help

Posted Sep 15, 2018 08:32 AM

Periods between the words would match any character including a space. So your regex would still be valid, likely equivalent because of the unlikeliness of your text being searched having that string with something other than spaces between the words.