Rally Software

• 1.  Install Rally App Builder Not Working

Posted Sep 17, 2018 01:13 PM

Hi I've tried following the Read Me instructions on github to install Rally App Builder on my Windows7 64 bit machine.  I'm getting the error below.  Any tips on getting through this?  I got same error prior to the npm update listed below...Install Error

• 2.  Re: Install Rally App Builder Not Working

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 17, 2018 04:38 PM

morky01, I'm not well versed on node.js.  Do you know what would throw this error?

• 3.  Re: Install Rally App Builder Not Working

Posted Sep 17, 2018 04:47 PM

jacob.friedman what are you trying to do?  It sounds like that error is resulting from trying to install rally-app-builder as a dependency to itself.  I'm guessing you forked or cloned the rally-app-builder project?  You can add a -g to your install command to install it globally and that should avoid the problem.  A simple npm install in that directory should also install all of its dependencies if you're just trying to do some work on the actual rally-app-builder.

If you're just trying to use rally-app-builder then there's no need to have a local clone of the github repo on your machine.  npm i rally-app-builder -g should install it for you globally and you should be good to go.

Does that help?

Kyle

• 4.  Re: Install Rally App Builder Not Working

Posted Sep 17, 2018 04:58 PM

morky01, I'd like to install Rally App Builder so I can customize some reports.  I took a look at the github repo and was following instructions to install it.  I downloaded repo and unzipped on a folder on my computer.  Then I followed instructions to install by typing 'npm install rally-app-builder' in that folder directory.  That produced above error. 

I tried doing global install and got screenshot below.

Global Install

I then tried to create my rally app builder project by navigating to lib folder and typing 'init --name=jaketest2'

I get following error and cannot move forward.  Any ideas on how to proceed?

• 5.  Re: Install Rally App Builder Not Working
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 17, 2018 05:14 PM

OK, that helps.  It looks like your rally app builder install worked.  You should be able to delete your local version of the source code- the rally-app-builder-master directory.  As long as C:\Users\jfriedm1\AppData\Roaming\npm is on your path you should be able to use the rally-app-builder command from any directory on your machine.

• 6.  Re: Install Rally App Builder Not Working

Posted Sep 17, 2018 05:51 PM

Confirmed I was able to proceed!  Many thanks for your help.  If I run into any difficulties using rally-app-builder, I'll start a new thread!