Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Load Balancer before Gateway

Posted Sep 23, 2018 10:56 AM

Hello All,

As per the below link: Configuring the Load Balancer - CA API Gateway - 9.3 - CA Technologies Documentation  

we can configure the LB but my concern is : What type of LB is before Gateway which handles the traffic: is it Layer4 LB ( Network LB) or Layer7 LB ( Application Layer). 

Also, as per the statement in above link : The load balancer for the Gateway cluster listens for incoming messages on TCP ports 8080 and 8443

and in the link : Network Configuration - CA API Gateway - 9.3 - CA Technologies Documentation  

it has been mention for eth0 :  8080 – standard HTTP port ,

so can you please let me know if we need to open 8080 port on LB as well while setting up on GW. I am confused.

Thanks

Pratyush

• 2.  Re: Load Balancer before Gateway

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 23, 2018 09:40 PM

Hello,

The gateway uses port 8080/8443 for incoming request by default.

As per my understanding, your LB needs to redirect incoming request to gateway server on port 8080/8443, on gateway side, those ports are opened. But for LB itself, if you configured the LB to redirect port 80 to 8080, then you open port 80 on LB, if you configured to redirect port 8080 to 8080,  then you open port 8080 on LB, so, it depends on how you configure the LB.

Regards,

Mark

• 3.  Re: Load Balancer before Gateway

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2018 07:25 AM

Hi

Did the answers on this thread  answered your question? If it did please mark it as the right answer.
    When your question is not answered or you still have additional questions please let us know.

With Kind Regards
    Dirk

• 4.  Re: Load Balancer before Gateway

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2018 11:59 AM

The Load Balancer in front of the gateway is normally Layer 4 as you are simply needing to manage the connection between source and destination and port address translation. For the ports on the gateway, the default ones are 8080 (HTTP), 8443 ( HTTPs/ Client Auth:Optional), and 9443 (HTTPs/Client Auth: None). Most implementation setup the load balancer port 80 to map to 8080 on the gateway and 443 to 8443 on the gateway. For Policy manager connection, you can use either the mapped port or direct port or HTTPs but please note that which ever port you use if it traverses through the LB then you need to ensure sticky session are enabled.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

CA Support