Clarity

• 1.  Resources and Timesheets

Posted Sep 25, 2018 08:27 AM

Good morning!  Thank you all for the help you've given me so far.  Another question regarding time sheets. We just readjusted everyone's resource manager based on our org charts, however this posed a little bit of a problem whereas if we moved a resource from a director as the resource manager and put them under a team lead under that same director, the director can no longer see the time sheet.  Is there a way to have the director be able to see the timesheets of their direct reports without having to manually give them permissions for each resource under their direct report?

For example, as it stands right now:

AVP (This is the Director's Manager - Cannot see anyone but Director's timesheet)

-Director (This is the Direct Report's Manager - Can only see Direct Report's timesheet)

- Direct Report (This is the Resource Manager - Can only see Direct Report's Resource timesheet)

- Direct Report's Resource

In my outline above, the Director cannot see the Direct Report's Resource Time sheet.  We would like it to be hierarchical whereas even the director's boss can see the timesheets of HIS/HER direct reports as well.  

I hope I'm not confusing anyone

• 2.  Re: Resources and Timesheets
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 25, 2018 09:22 AM

If you have some sort of organisation structure associated with your resources (i.e. an OBS) then you would just grant rights over that OBS to whomever needed them. (i.e. the timesheet view or approve rights for example).

(You appear to be only using the the implied right that a named "Resource Manager" gets over a Resource's timesheets rather than any other access model though, you possibly want to think about your entire security model or at least understand it all before deciding on what method to take to suit your organisations (there are many options to the way this can all be set up) )

• 3.  Re: Resources and Timesheets

Posted Sep 25, 2018 09:33 AM

Dave,

Thank you for your reply.  We definitely are not using the system the best way possible, but it's not from lack of effort on my part.  Thank you so much for the help.  The OBS makes complete sense!

• 4.  Re: Resources and Timesheets

Posted Sep 25, 2018 10:47 AM

If you don't want to (or can't) tag resources with an OBS to hang permissions off, then another way that saves you from the individual setting up of rights (instance-to-instance) rights would be via groups - you could create a group for a area/department, add access rights to that group over all the (instance) resources for that area/department and then you add the manager resources as members of the group and they will thus inherit the access-rights..

(but all this is saving you from doing is adding the same instance-to-instance rights to multiple (manager) resources)

• 5.  Re: Resources and Timesheets

Posted Sep 25, 2018 12:08 PM

We are doing what David recommends, using groups.  Found this easy to administer when approvers change – or, at least easier than other methods available.  Also, using OBS to distribute rights is easy to setup, but we found it difficult to manage after the initial setup is complete, as there aren’t good views available out of the box regarding OBS rights distribution.