AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

• 1.  Upgrading from 6.7.41 to 6.9.21

Posted Sep 26, 2018 10:17 AM

Hi,

I was asked to upgrade our DUAS server from version 6.7.41 to 6.9.21 (Windows Server 2012R2 installed a year ago).  
    Currently the DUAS Server is acting as both development and production server using Area S and X.
    Both the UVMS Manager and the UVC console had been upgraded to version 6.9.21.
    Since this is the first time I will be performing the upgrade, I have a few questions.

1. What are the chances the upgrade would failed?
    2. I know the upgrade process has a backup option, is this just backuping up the data not the system?  
       If it is for the system, what is the rollback process?
    3. If I copy everything from C:\Program Files\AUTOMIC\DUAS prior to the upgrade (DU Services all stopped) and if the upgrade failed,
       can I simply copy the backup back there and it would be fine?  
    4. If not, what is the proper rollback/undo the upgrade process if it fails?

Thanks
    John

• 2.  Re: Upgrading from 6.7.41 to 6.9.21

Posted Sep 28, 2018 06:07 AM

Hi,

We've upgraded a couple of times so I've some experience.

1. Not a big change. I think we had some problems couple of times and the installation failed but even those failures didn't break the DUAS installation. I don't remember what problems we had.

2. I think the upgrade process takes a backup and restores that if there was a failure.

3. We did this also but we didn't have to restore the files so I don't know if it works.

4. My understanding is that a proper rollback is automatic in the upgrade process. If the upgrade fails, it will restore the backup itself.

You can also back up all the items in UVC before the upgrade. Make a package(s) of all uprocs, sessions, tasks etc. which you can restore if a worst case scenario happens that you have re-install the whole DUAS.

When you have everything backed before upgrading, there's no real risk.

Br,

Aukusti

• 3.  Re: Upgrading from 6.7.41 to 6.9.21

Posted Sep 28, 2018 11:24 AM

Thanks Aukusti.  The auto-rollback if the upgrade fails would be great.  I will prepare some backups before the actual upgrade.

• 4.  Re: Upgrading from 6.7.41 to 6.9.21

Posted Oct 04, 2018 09:01 AM

also FYI the 6.9.41 was released this week and includes some bug fixes.

• 5.  Re: Upgrading from 6.7.41 to 6.9.21

Posted Oct 04, 2018 09:47 AM

Good to know.  Thanks.

• 6.  Re: Upgrading from 6.7.41 to 6.9.21

Posted Oct 08, 2018 09:16 AM

If this is a VM then quick belt and braces way is to take a snapshot then just restore that. This would be in addition to the $U backups mentioned but can be a quicker option.

The upgrade process is fairly robust and does undo itself if unsuccessful