Clarity

• 1.  Export to excel is taking too long when a custom attribute is added to the view in CA PPM

Posted Sep 27, 2018 06:55 AM

Hi,

In CA PPM 15.4, Home->projects , I am listing about 1800 projects and exporting it to excel. The export is faster and gets completed in 20 seconds.Now when I add a custom attribute to the view(consist of text, max 20 characters) and try to export, its taking about 18 minutes to complete the export.  The size of the report is almost the same with or without the attribute.I would like to know the possible causes of this behavior.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards,
    Abilash Muraleedharan

• 2.  Re: Export to excel is taking too long when a custom attribute is added to the view in CA PPM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 28, 2018 02:45 PM

Hi Abilash,

One issue I'm aware of where this can happen is related to AVP Settings. Here's a KB with more details in case this is the issue you are running into: Poor Performance on Exporting data into Excel due - CA Knowledge 

Regards,

Kristin Schroer

• 3.  Re: Export to excel is taking too long when a custom attribute is added to the view in CA PPM

Posted Oct 05, 2018 03:10 AM

Hi Kristin,

Thanks for the KB.

I tried to export the list in lower environment and I succeeded, it took 1 minute for exporting without that custom attributes and it took 17 minutes for exporting the view with 'Stage' attribute.

When I tried to export by changing the setting as "Use only secured subpages to protect attribute values on this list" it took 10 minutes to export the same and 16 minutes with setting as "Display all attribute values on this list". Seems there is a minor improvement but I am not sure it was really because of the setting or due to the less load at that point of time. 

Regards,
    Abilash

• 4.  Re: Export to excel is taking too long when a custom attribute is added to the view in CA PPM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 05, 2018 03:54 AM

Hi Abilash,

If adding a custom attribute is taking so long we need to review the database to see how the query is executing and take necessary actions accordingly.

Regards

Suman Pramanik 

• 5.  Re: Export to excel is taking too long when a custom attribute is added to the view in CA PPM

Posted Oct 05, 2018 04:03 AM

Hi Suman,

Thanks!
    For your reference, the view is loading almost in seconds.But export is taking time.

We will also check with DBA on this query part.

Regards,
    Abilash

• 6.  Re: Export to excel is taking too long when a custom attribute is added to the view in CA PPM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 05, 2018 04:17 AM

Is it a oracle or ms sql box? 

• 7.  Re: Export to excel is taking too long when a custom attribute is added to the view in CA PPM

Posted Oct 05, 2018 04:20 AM

Its Oracle Suman.

• 8.  Re: Export to excel is taking too long when a custom attribute is added to the view in CA PPM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 05, 2018 07:33 AM

Did you raise a case as we might need to look at database level in depth 

• 9.  Re: Export to excel is taking too long when a custom attribute is added to the view in CA PPM

Posted Oct 10, 2018 11:03 AM

Hi Suman,

Another strange thing I noted was that, the export was taking a while about 20 minutes and displaying 502 error in one of the servers. When I tried to take the same export from session connected to another Server it got exported in just 2 minutes. Is there any settings/server parameters which needs to be checked.

Regards,
    Abilash Muraleedharan

• 10.  Re: Export to excel is taking too long when a custom attribute is added to the view in CA PPM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 10, 2018 12:20 PM

502 are not PPM errrors it could be the load balancer or proxy timing out. the other server could fetch the data faster and it really looks like the query execution is not efficient.