DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  VMWare probe Capabilities

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 28, 2018 03:02 PM

Team,

I would like to present this following scenario to you for one of our customers and seek your expert advice to monitor VMware infrastructure with VMarwe probe.

The customer infrastructure is a split logically into two environments, non-production, and production.

The VMware infrastructure supporting both environments contains about 200 ESX hosts. All 200 ESX hosts are managed by one vCenter.

They are hosting about 1000+ VMs on this infrastructure.

Currently, we are designing UIM solutions to support production and non-production environments. UIM will also have 2 instances.

Here is the question,

Is there any way to configure multiple VMware probes (One in Production and one in non-production) with the same vCenter, but each probe should monitor only ESX hosts of the respective environment (by naming standards)?

What about potential options we have to split the Vcenter into multiple vmware probes?

• 2.  Re: VMWare probe Capabilities

Posted Sep 28, 2018 03:32 PM

I would also like to know if anyone has done this with the VMware probe because our environment is almost exactly the same as you describe.  Currently, polling the same vCenter server from both production and non-production UIM environments is necessary because you get all the metrics for all the VMs managed by the vCenter server when you query it.  This dual polling creates an unnecessary load on the vCenter server.  I have yet to find a way to filter the polling from the vCenter probe for each environment.  

• 3.  Re: VMWare probe Capabilities

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 28, 2018 04:56 PM

The only way I am aware of to 'filter' this is at the ESX level by creating separate users in the VMware environment.  You then limit access for those users and restrict them to only be able to see the part(s) of the infrastructure you want to monitor, and then configure the vmware probe(s) with the respective usernames.

• 4.  Re: VMWare probe Capabilities

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 30, 2018 10:41 PM

Jason is correct. DO NOT USE root credential, it will cause all objects get discovered.

vmware probe discover everything allowed in the given credential.