DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  VMware VM display in USM as resource name causing duplication host

Posted Sep 28, 2018 08:59 PM

My UIM hub vm reside in a VMware environment as a vm.

There is a vmware probe deploy on the hub monitoring the vcenter.

After I run discovery_server and using discovery_agent to gather information on the segment of network I notice that the USM displays the virtual machine resource name as a host in the USM group.

How can I make the resource name correlate into the UIM robot name as just one host to display the the USM group.

I am running UIM 8.5 , discovery_server and discovery agent version 8.5.

• 2.  Re: VMware VM display in USM as resource name causing duplication host

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 30, 2018 10:48 PM

It looks correct behavior. Robot device is being overwritten by another inventory that was produced by vmware probe.

• 3.  Re: VMware VM display in USM as resource name causing duplication host

Posted Oct 01, 2018 12:54 AM

Hi Yu,

Thanks for the response.

I disable the correlation section in the discovery_server probe on vm_ids yesterday and run remove_all_master_devices callback removes UIM database to rebuild the tables.

It solve the correlated UIM hub vm information into the to robot name as other ip address.

I still notice there is some vm resource name being discovery in the inventory and this virtual machine are being monitored by the UIM hub vmware probe each has robot installed.

Should I remove robot_device_id correlation and mac_address or further down ....?

Currently the discovery_server probe correlation is set as below

vm_id disable
    robot_device_id enabled
    mac_address enabled
    simple_hostnames enabled has some excluded host name because of duplication
    ip_address enabled has some excluded ip address because of duplication 

• 4.  Re: VMware VM display in USM as resource name causing duplication host

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2018 01:26 AM

Yes. You can try and see behavior how it goes.

• 5.  Re: VMware VM display in USM as resource name causing duplication host

Posted Oct 03, 2018 11:34 PM

After using cm_import_data to import data for the robot with below attributes information of VM merge into Robot and the VM disappeared from USM search.

ElementUUID=robot cs_key

PrimaryIPv4Address=robot PrimaryIPv4Address

Origin=robot origin

OtherMacAddress= VM PrimaryMacAddress

OtherIPAddress=VM PrimaryIPv4Address

Inventory still exist the vm instance that might be due to discovery_agent scanning the network

But using the USM search it display only robot name as return result

Tried on three device with the same situation and it merge the virtual machine information to the robot.

• 6.  Re: VMware VM display in USM as resource name causing duplication host

Posted Oct 02, 2018 10:58 PM

I read through How Does Discovery Correlation Work? - CA Knowledge.  It mention :

Method Descriptions
    Strong Correlators
    Device UUID corresponds to the cs_key that is found in the CM_DEVICE_ATTRIBUTE table. You'll rarely encounter this attribute, however it can be used for the cm_data_import probe when defining an XML import template

Can I some how use cm_data_import probe when defining an XML import to add additional fake information for the correlation.

If it can how should I proceed so that the robot is the device appearing in USM with VMs added as information.

• 7.  Re: VMware VM display in USM as resource name causing duplication host

Posted Nov 06, 2018 07:52 AM

Just adding the finalize I use cm_data_import when even snmp discovery fails to provide information that the two device are related. With minimal below XML :

PrimaryIPv4Address=robot PrimaryIPv4Address

Origin=robot origin

OtherMacAddress= VM PrimaryMacAddress