Gen EDGE

Expand all | Collapse all

Is the product "CA Gen Workstation cross Generation to OS/390" used for client/server applications? if not, what it is used for?

• 1.  Is the product "CA Gen Workstation cross Generation to OS/390" used for client/server applications? if not, what it is used for?

Posted Oct 04, 2018 02:35 AM

I work in MainFrame environment and I wonder how can I use the product "CA Gen Workstation cross Generation to OS/390" 

thanks

• 2.  Re: Is the product "CA Gen Workstation cross Generation to OS/390" used for client/server applications? if not, what it is used for?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2018 05:38 PM

Hi MOhammed Sabry,

Apologies for the delayed reply - I think your question was originally posted into the CA Mainframe DevOps Community and has only now come into the CA Gen EDGE Community.

If you have not already found your answer via another channel here is some information which will hopefully help understanding:

"CA Gen Workstation cross Generation to OS/390" can be used to generate COBOL code for Gen OS/390 / z/OS server load modules. The generated remote files containing the code (.rmt files) then need to be transferred to z/OS and installed (compiled/linked) using the z/OS Implementation Toolset: z/OS Implementation Toolset - CA Gen - 8.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

A similar cross "Generation to OS/390" also exists for the Gen Client Server Encyclopedia.

These options contrast with generation & install of Gen z/OS COBOL servers direct from a Gen Host Encyclopedia

I hope that information helps

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Is the product "CA Gen Workstation cross Generation to OS/390" used for client/server applications? if not, what it is used for?

Posted Oct 23, 2018 03:50 AM

Hello Lynn,

That was exactly what I wanted to be sure of.

many thanks for your help.

Mohammed