AnsweredAssumed Answered

Basic java process agent POC

Question asked by Sop_Herramientas on Oct 5, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 5, 2018 by LutzM

Hi all,

Im practicing with CA-APM in orther to obtain a agent that consumes the less possible but offer the metrics that fullfill our requirements. After several tests I have to open this question to know what im doing bad.

Now I´m trying a very very simple test, a simple java that was packaged as jar with this main:

public static void main(String[] args) {
   for (int ii=0; ii<1000000; ii++){
      try {
         Thread.sleep(4000);
      } catch (InterruptedException e) {
         e.printStackTrace();
         }   
    }
}

I downloaded the "JAVA AGENT FILES FOR ALL APPLICATION SERVERS" and then use the wily folder that i found in "IntroscopeAgentFiles-NoInstaller10.7.0.115allappserver.unix.tar"

So i move that wily folder to my unix server, and also my jar.

I have edited the default IntroscopeAgentMicro.profile to call the default-full.pbl and launch my java agent and jar as follow:

nohup <PathToJava>/java/bin/java -Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xloggc:<PathToGCLog>2018-06-12_03-21-15_gc.log -XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5 -XX:GCLogFileSize=10M -javaagent:<PathToAgent>/wily/Agent.jar -DagentProfile:<PathToAgent>/core/config/IntroscopeAgentMicro.profile -DagentManager.url.1=<MOM-IP>:5001  -Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=contadorMinimo/<MACHINE_NAME> -jar <PathToJAR>/contador.jar  &

What first shocked me its that no files are generated on <PathToAgent>/logs/

On workstation im able to find the Agent but its only reporting "Agent Stats", "GC Heap" and "Host" metrics. I was specting at least find the "CPU" metrics. What im doing wrong? its obvious that an active java process must have a CPU usage associated so i cant understand why its not reporting.

Can somebody help me with that please?

Best Rgds and thx in advace

Outcomes