Service Virtualization

• 1.  Can a VS initiate the request?

Posted Oct 08, 2018 08:27 AM

Hi all, I need to create a virtual service which should send a request to the system under test and based on the request we need to test the response of the system under test. Can this be achieved? If not is there a work around for achieving this?

Actual workflow:

Request sent from Third party service->OLTB->System under test

Response sent from System under test->OLTB->third party service

Here third party service needs to be replaced by the virtual service.

Can someone help me?

• 2.  Re: Can a VS initiate the request?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 08, 2018 08:44 AM

Hi,

To me, the requirement is not a virtual service, this is a testcase.

•   You have an action simulating the 3rd party service.

•   The testcase then captures the response of the SUT and executes a number of assertions to validate the correctness

Cheers,

Danny

• 3.  Re: Can a VS initiate the request?

Posted Oct 08, 2018 09:04 AM

Thanks for the reply. Could you please explain how this can be achieved?

• 4.  Re: Can a VS initiate the request?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 08, 2018 08:50 AM

As Danny says this is a test case. You are stimulating services with tests, whereas you are simulating services with a virtual service.

In DevTest, If you have access to create virtual services, you also have access to create tests.

You can execute your test on-demand by staging it, or you can execute it on a schedule to regularly test your service by using the built-in CVS (Continuous Validation Service) facility.

• 5.  Re: Can a VS initiate the request?

Posted Oct 08, 2018 09:06 AM

Thanks Rick. I think this would be useful for me to achieve the expected results.

Could you please explain more about this and CVS?

Or could you please send me the link?

• 6.  Re: Can a VS initiate the request?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 08, 2018 01:41 PM

To get started with this, you need to tell us:

• What is the service technology, i.e. the transport protocol? Is it an HTTP call? JMS queues, MQ queues?
    • What is the payload technology, i.e. the data protocol? Is it a SOAP message? A "plain" XML? JSON?
    • In the response, what do you need to check in order to assess that the SUT responded correctly?

Starting from this we might be able to give some pointers regarding your specific test case that you want to build.

However, if you never looked into this capability of DevTest then it might be wise to get some education first? Maybe you have a colleague that can help to get you started?

If not, have a look at the CA Application Test tutorials within the DevTest documentation: CA Application Test Tutorials - DevTest Solutions - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation. They are all about building test cases.

Cheers,

Danny