DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  URL_response probe Monitoring

Posted Oct 09, 2018 12:22 PM

Hi Folks,

We have a requirement to configure an alert when users are not able to login to a URL though the URL is up and running fine.Application team says they have come across situations where though the web-application is up and running fine the users will not able to login  because of Firewall-block issues,Database down issue etc..

How can we accomplish this using URL_response probe?I have gone through the documentation it has user authentications fields(so does this meanwe have to create a user to access the portal and if the authentication fails for that user we will get an alarm but how are we achieving this we only have option to set username and password but no option to trigger an alarm if the authentication fails? and  what's the Proxy properties section exactly useful for does this generate an alert if only the proxy user login fails?

Very confused ,Can anyone Please help!!!!

Regards,

Vineesha.

• 2.  Re: URL_response probe Monitoring

Posted Oct 09, 2018 12:30 PM

Hi Vineesha,

user authentication will work only if browser prompts for login information, for web page login you need to use e2e_appmon probe where you need to record the login step and in that way it will trigger alert if login step fails.

• 3.  Re: URL_response probe Monitoring

Posted Oct 09, 2018 01:22 PM

Hi Hitesh,

Thanks for the quick response

So as per my understanding url_response has the option of user authentication only for logging in to the webservers and not for the web application login.

By using e2e_appmon probe i believe i need to create a script.Could you please let me know how to get the alarm when user authentication fails on webpage using e2e_appmon probe.

Thanks in advance!!!

• 4.  Re: URL_response probe Monitoring

Posted Oct 10, 2018 06:51 AM

Can anyone please help here?

e2e_appmon probe configuration looks very complex ,we have a simple requirement here to trigger an alert when the userauthentication fails on a webpage.

I have seen some workaround where the url_response log file was monitored to fulfill the above requirement?

what would be the best solution to choose here to achieve the userauthentication failed requirement?e2e_appmon or logmon probe to monitor the url_response logfile??

Thanks,

Vineesha.

• 5.  Re: URL_response probe Monitoring

Posted Oct 10, 2018 07:29 AM

I don't think it is achievable using current url_response probe. can somebody please confirm that and a possible workaround other than e2e_appmon probe.

• 6.  Re: URL_response probe Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 10, 2018 07:57 AM

You are correct this can not be done with url_response probe. It can be done with e2e probe.

Your other choice is to build a script of your own using curl or some other utility that may let you do what you want and then write the results to a log file and use logmon to read the file.

• 7.  Re: URL_response probe Monitoring

Posted Oct 10, 2018 09:30 AM

If you can see the auth failure in a logfile somewhere, you can use the logmon probe on that server to watch the logfile for that specific error.  That would be the easiest thing to do.

• 8.  Re: URL_response probe Monitoring

Posted Oct 10, 2018 10:03 AM

When I said earlier to watch a log file for the auth failure, I was thinking about the actual webserver auth logs (or whatever handles your authentication).  But, if you do see the auth failure in your url_response probe log and that is consistent, you could certainly use logmon probe to watch that, too.

• 9.  Re: URL_response probe Monitoring

Posted Oct 10, 2018 10:03 AM

Hi Chris,

Yeah but application team says that the auth failure info is stored in Database instead of logfiles.

I think I am left with the option of e2e_appmon probe itself.Can anyone share any sample scripts/any useful links for userauthentication in this e2e_appmon probe.

Regards,

Vineesha.

• 10.  Re: URL_response probe Monitoring

Posted Oct 10, 2018 10:12 AM

Assuming the application team and the DBAs don't want to give you enough access to read their log tables...  Maybe your application team and/or the DBA can query their DB and produce for you a logfile that you could monitor with logmon.  These approaches may be easier than the e2e_appmon probe.  But, the e2e_appmon approach would leave all the monitoring in your control - just more to do.