Rally Software

• 1.  Filter stories by certain task status

Posted Oct 16, 2018 11:35 AM

I need to filter stories based on status of one particular task within the stories.

i.e. I need to look at just those stories that have a certain task as incomplete. There is a list of tasks that we use as a template. When one particular task is not done, I want to know of it. 

How can I do this? I'm okay with apps or queries or any other solution. 

• 2.  Re: Filter stories by certain task status
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 16, 2018 04:53 PM

Hi Nivi,

This might do what you need:

I created a custom list showing User Stories and used the following query format:

((Tasks.Name = "Your Template Task") AND (Tasks.State != "Completed"))

• 3.  Re: Filter stories by certain task status

Posted Oct 16, 2018 05:05 PM

Hey David,

I tried this and this doesn't exactly work the way I want it to. This query is giving a list of stories in which "all tasks" are "not completed". 

There are stories with some tasks completed and my 'specific task' incomplete and I want to be able to see these as well. 

Regards,

Niveditha

• 4.  Re: Filter stories by certain task status

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 02:55 PM

That's a good point.  I'm not sure that it's possible to make a query from that direction now that you mention it.  It might have to come from a Tasks perspective and show the WorkProduct of the task.  Problem is you start to lose context that way.

• 5.  Re: Filter stories by certain task status

Posted Oct 17, 2018 03:11 PM

Thanks David for getting back to me.

There's an app called User story ancestor grid. But this app allows filters on the levels above the story on all portfolio item features of the stories. It doesn't go down to the task level. This would have resolved my problem.Do you have any idea if there's something like this for tasks?

I am having a hard time believing that this is a very unique request, it seems pretty standard to ask for a list of all stories where a certain task assigned to me is incomplete. 

Regards,

Niveditha

• 6.  Re: Filter stories by certain task status

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 04:13 PM

Hi Niveditha, DavidLeDeaux,

Maybe 'My Tasks' app can help?

The 'Work Product' column shows you the user story but the list is essentially a list of tasks and that query filter can be set to filter incomplete:

Is this helping?

Sagi

• 7.  Re: Filter stories by certain task status

Posted Oct 17, 2018 04:46 PM

Hey Sagi,

Thanks for the response

I have tried this app. And this doesn't exactly serve my purpose because I lose context when I use this app.

I have a list of tasks that I use as a template. Only one or two of these are my responsibility. I want to keep an eye on those stories in which my tasks are not done and also see the status of the ones before mine . So retaining the context and seeing the entire list of tasks under a story would help in this.

Regards,

Nivi

• 8.  RE: Re: Filter stories by certain task status

Posted Sep 19, 2022 05:30 PM

I know this was a long time ago but is there still no solution for this? I have tasks that can't be completed until someone else completes other tasks in the story. I would like to create a list of stories titled something like "Stories that are ready for me" that would find all stories with a specific task that I am assigned and where another task in that story is set to complete.

It seems like being able to filter stories based on specific tasks would have all sorts helpful use cases. I can think of 2 or three I would implement right away, if it existed. Is there any way to do this?