DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

• 1.  VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

Posted Oct 17, 2018 09:36 AM

Hello, where can I get information on the availability of the next release of the VMWARE probe that supports VMWARE 6.7 please? We have had to upgrade to 6.7 and are now not able to monitor with the latest version of 7.1

Thank you

• 2.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

Posted Oct 17, 2018 10:18 AM

I suggest you open a case with CA Support for this question.   Report it as LOSS of Function.

If they disagree, contact your sales team to assist in getting it escalated.

David

• 3.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 11:09 AM

Hi. 

As per the release notes

vmware probe 7.11 GA August 2018 has added support for vSphere 6.7

What issues are you having?

regards

Rich

• 4.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

Posted Oct 17, 2018 11:23 AM

Thanks for the reply Richard, we were monitoring the previous version of VMWARE with probe 7.11, upgrade to VMWARE 6.7 and now a resource test comes back with an error of hostname or IP wrong, port number wrong or handler class is wrong. Hostname and IP have not changed and the port is still open. Event log has......

login failed, VMWare API is unavailable: Exception caught trying to invoke method RetrieveServiceContent; nested exception is:
    at com.nimsoft.probe.application.vmware.sdk.VmwareEnvAdaptor.relogin(VmwareEnvAdaptor.java:1211)
    at com.nimsoft.probe.application.vmware.sdk.VmwareEnvAdaptor.isVmwareApiAvailable(VmwareEnvAdaptor.java:1153)
    at com.nimsoft.probe.application.vmware.sdk.VmwareSession.updateInventory(VmwareSession.java:161)
    ... 14 more

Sorry I had missed the comment in the release notes saying it was supported, only saw a post from July saying it was in the pipeline

• 5.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 11:43 AM

Hi Kevin.

Is the MOB enalbed?

VMware Knowledge Base 

• 6.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

Posted Oct 17, 2018 11:55 AM

Sorry Richard, MOB?

• 7.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

Posted Oct 17, 2018 12:04 PM

Okay I have found what the MOB is, looking at that now.

• 8.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

Posted Oct 17, 2018 12:09 PM

Richard, MOB appears to be enabled, I can log into it, I can view all of the object types

• 9.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

• 10.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

Posted Oct 17, 2018 12:45 PM

That did not work, I get the following error after trying out that KB;

9.0, log4j 1.2.17
    Oct 17 17:43:02:916 [main, vmware] SCHEDULER: using scheduler_thread_pool_size = 3
    Oct 17 17:43:02:916 [main, vmware] Unexpected death of thread main.
    Oct 17 17:43:02:916 [main, vmware] java.lang.InternalError: MD5 not supported
    at java.util.UUID.nameUUIDFromBytes(Unknown Source)
    at com.nimsoft.probe.common.disco.schema.ExtendedDataModel.toNisDataModelExtension(ExtendedDataModel.java:120)
    at com.nimsoft.probe.common.disco.service.common.ExtendedDataModelInitializer.getNisDataModelExtension(ExtendedDataModelInitializer.java:92)
    at com.nimsoft.probe.common.disco.service.common.DefaultDiscoveryExtendedSchemaService.publishExtendedSchema(DefaultDiscoveryExtendedSchemaService.java:61)
    at com.nimsoft.probe.common.disco.engine.DefaultDiscoveryPublisherEngineService.sendDiscoveryProperties(DefaultDiscoveryPublisherEngineService.java:66)
    at com.nimsoft.probe.common.disco.engine.DefaultDiscoveryPublisherEngineService.start(DefaultDiscoveryPublisherEngineService.java:50)
    at com.nimsoft.vm.BaseProbe.startServiceEngines(BaseProbe.java:1208)
    at com.nimsoft.probe.application.vmware.VmwareProbe.startServiceEngines(VmwareProbe.java:168)
    at com.nimsoft.vm.BaseProbe.firstTimeSetup(BaseProbe.java:447)
    at com.nimsoft.vm.BaseProbe.execute(BaseProbe.java:399)
    at com.nimsoft.probe.application.vmware.VmwareProbe.main(VmwareProbe.java:73)

• 11.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 18, 2018 04:39 AM

HI, Can I request you open a support case for us to look at this in more detail

Thanks

Rich

• 12.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 18, 2018 09:51 AM

Hi Rich, just to let you know the following I got from support enabled me to connect to my VMWARE environment again and it works;

"https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/vmware-monitoringis-not-working-for-a-trial/kb000074043

Kevin

• 13.  Re: VMWARE probe supporting VMWARE 6.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 18, 2018 09:54 AM

great news!!