DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  EPAgent resource metrics for PerfMonAgent - type values

Posted Oct 17, 2018 09:50 AM

Hi Community,

In the Metric Browser, when you click on one of the environment performance agent (EPAgent), expand it to the "PerfMonAgent", the "Resource Metrics for: PerfMonAgent" graphs are all empty.

The "% CPU Utilization (Host)", "% Time Spent in GC", "Threads in Use", and "JDBC Connections in Use" are the labels of the four graphs.

I'm guessing that there is a typevalue configuration that is translating the base epagent metrics to these four graphs.

So the question is, how do I get the mapping between the metrics within the epagent (10.5.2) to populate the four resources graphs for the PerfMonAgent?

Thank you,

Billy

• 2.  Re: EPAgent resource metrics for PerfMonAgent - type values

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 10:14 AM

Dear Community:

Can you give Billy some suggestions on next steps to follow?

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: EPAgent resource metrics for PerfMonAgent - type values

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 10:59 AM

Hi Billy,

That is configured in ResourceMetricMap.properties in the EM's config folder.

The default values are more app-server specific but I don't suppose there's a limitation for it to be something from an EPAgent.

I hope it's fairly self-explanatory, just copy the metric name you want as a new parameter

My only advice for it is you can only have one metric per graph so try to specify a single metric that best describes what you want to put there, it won't do any aggregating of data, or display more than one value per graph.

Thanks,

David

• 4.  Re: EPAgent resource metrics for PerfMonAgent - type values

Posted Oct 17, 2018 01:00 PM

Thank you Dave.

I did find a "SystemDBRecordTypes.properties" file under <em home>/config/internal/server that had entries that might be related but did not find the specifics such as the four that are in the "Resources" tab of the PerfMonAgent.

SystemDBRecordTypes.properties

I'm looking for the mapping between the four graphs of the "Resources" tab of the PerfMonAgent and don't know which of the indexes are for the four graphs.

Guessing I could define a .js that queries for our current metric and then publish a new metric with the matching location/name, but would need to know specifically the group and metric name to publish.

Is there a way to override the out of the box resources tab graph mappings so we are modifying an out of the box type view?

Thanks,

Billy

• 5.  Re: EPAgent resource metrics for PerfMonAgent - type values
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 01:12 PM

Hi Billy,

Are you saying you don't have the ResourceMetricMap.properties? I can see it still in a 10.7 EM so if you want to populate those Resources views, you would add what you want to match.

Link to documentation (which is still the same in 10.7 version):

https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/9-7/en/administrating/properties-files-reference/resourcemetricmap-properties

As it says, you can't edit the groups themselves, but you can edit what goes in to them.

As the example, you manually add what you want:

cpu.utilization.path.1=CPU:Utilization % (process) cpu.utilization.path.2=Some other metrics path

and my addition
    cpu.utilization.path.3=Yet another metrics path

I don't believe there is any context check for this either, so, for argument's case, you could put the same source metric in each group

Thanks,

David

• 6.  Re: EPAgent resource metrics for PerfMonAgent - type values

Posted Oct 18, 2018 07:02 AM

Thank you David,

Did you know that on a RHEL OS, that if you type in "ls resource*" it won't find "ResourceMetricMap.properties". 

It has been a long week.

After looking again, using the correct capitalization, did find the file and also read through the documentation.  I'm going to look into seeing what options I have with the epagent since the documentation has to enable JMX on the Java Agent but this is for the environment performance agent.

On our WebSphere Java agents, the four graphs are populated.  I'm guessing that the settings in the ResourceMetricMap.properties are for epagents also.

I know for our epagent we have implemented a number of Perl scripts to pull the vmstat/lparstat cpu utilization %, not really sure if time spent in GC, threads in use or JDBC Connection in use has any real meaning in the context of an environment performance agent.

Is there a way to change the four graphs for EPAgents to be more relative to the agent type such as CPU, Memory, netstat - waiting sockets, and I would say DF - % free, but that could be more than a dozen different listings?

Billy