AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  How Permission is Applied to tracelog file

Posted Oct 17, 2018 06:08 PM

We recently did a change role in our production environment and since then we have not been able to view the tracelog files without getting switching to the root user on our Linux DE servers. It seems that somehow now when a tracelog is created it is created with a different set of permissions that doesn't allow us to view the file. 

Does anyone know how I change it to where when a tracelog is created, it is created with a 644 permission setting instead of 640. Of course we can change all the current tracelogs using the chmod command but that only affects the ones that are already created, it does nothing for when new tracelogs are created.

• 2.  Re: How Permission is Applied to tracelog file

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 19, 2018 09:05 AM

HI Travis,

The tracelog permission will be based on the umask.  If you run DE as user, then you change the umask of the user and control the permission.

Thank you,

Nitin Pande

CA Technologies

• 3.  Re: How Permission is Applied to tracelog file

Posted Oct 19, 2018 10:41 AM

Thanks Nitin. Just to confirm since I did not initially set things up but I noticed in the tracelog the below information. Is that what would tell me the user that is running DE, in this case root? Just want to verify the ID need to be looking at here. All of our systems run as root but for some reason when creating tracelogs on our prod server DE creates them with 640 permissions but on our test server it creates them with 644 with the 644 being sufficient so that we can review them without needing the root password. 

(System) user.name=root