Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Write a comment into CP/WP log on purpose

Posted Oct 22, 2018 06:12 AM

Hi to the knowing (and all others too :-)  )

For a check script I would need to write any comment to a CP and WP log on purpose - or create any wp log entry on purpose.

Any Ideas how to force an entry on a specific WP and CP?

Background: I run a check for the periodic logfile write to catch hanging WPS or CPs - especially during the night I get sometimes false alarms because there is simply not much workload running on al WP and CP processes.

With this workaround would like to write some dummy info into WP/CP logs that the logfile-write-check does not alert if there is lessworkloa on the WP or CP.

many thanks,

Wolfgang

• 2.  Re: Write a comment into CP/WP log on purpose

Posted Nov 11, 2018 10:06 AM

One other possible option :

Set an SQLI variable that runs the command "select OH_Name from OH where oH_OType = 'SERV'"

This will return the list of all server components of your instance (also called "system" in the documentation)

Use the script commands PREP_PROCESS_VAR to check status of the different server components returned by the variable like the following :

:SET &varlist# = PREP_PROCESS_VAR(<SQLI variable name>)
    :PROCESS &varlist#

:  SET &srv_name# = GET_PROCESS_LINE(&varlist#,1)
    :  SET &status# = SYS_SERVER_ALIVE(&srv_name#)

:ENDPROCESS

Status returned by SYS_SERVER_ALIVE is "Y" when component active so if you find an "N" status your component is down.

Now this is not going to detect a component in some very unusual status or if the DB is freezed .... but this will not show also in the server log files.

• 3.  Re: Write a comment into CP/WP log on purpose

Posted Nov 12, 2018 03:18 AM

Hi Alain

thx for the input - we have a similar solution in place.

My intention is catching the issue of a hanging  WP with Role R - that is (to my knowledge) only detectable to check if the WP is still writing in its log - all Scriptcommands to not cath this issue.

cheers, Wolfgang