ESP Workload Automation

• 1.  Automation of Post-IPL Activity

Posted Oct 24, 2018 10:04 AM

Hi,  

I am very familiar with scheduling in ESP, but just getting into the systems side of it.  

I'd like to have run a schedule of jobs whenever the mainframe is IPL'd.  I have been talking to my systems folks about this, and we are discussing various methods on how to determine that the IPL is complete, and ready for this post-IPL schedule to run in ESP.  I thought they would be okay to catalog a dataset that the ESP event could trigger on, or run a job to execute ESP, with a TR command, but they came back asking if ESP could detect a SYSLOG message:  ONLINES NORMAL STARTUP COMPLETE.  I checked the ESP manuals, and I didn't find anything about IPL detection.

Is there a best practice I can suggest to my systems team, so we can have a smooth hand-off between the IPL process, and the jobs we want to run after the IPL?  

Thanks,

Darrell

• 2.  Re: Automation of Post-IPL Activity

Posted Oct 24, 2018 10:27 AM

Hi Darrell, 

I think the best method is to have automation detect the message "ONLINES NORMAL STARTUP COMPLETE" and issue a modify command to ESP to trigger an event. 

/F ESP, TRIGGER POWDO03.DPUSER04

Parameters could be passed in as needed. 

Note: This would trigger each time the onlines are started not just when an IPL is done. 

• 3.  Re: Automation of Post-IPL Activity
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 25, 2018 09:16 AM

If you are using OPS/MVS as your automation, the automation people can use the ADDRESS ESP function in the IPL automation to do what you need.

• 4.  Re: Automation of Post-IPL Activity

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2018 12:56 PM

Hi Darrell,

Have you found the replies from Don and Leo helpful?

Do you have any more concerns?

Thank you for your feedback,

Lucy