Layer7 API Management

• 1.  unable to connect vm of ssg from Host to guest.

Posted Oct 24, 2018 12:09 PM

Hi There,

I have loaded ova in to vwware workstation but unable to ping from my os(host laptop) to ssgVM(guest laptop).Pls advice.I thing some firewall at ssg stopping this.

• 2.  Re: unable to connect vm of ssg from Host to guest.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 24, 2018 05:58 PM

The default firewall on gateway will not stop the ping.

You may check the networking.

Regards,

Mark

• 3.  Re: unable to connect vm of ssg from Host to guest.

Posted Oct 24, 2018 09:35 PM

Could you please me know how to disable the firewall on the gateway.

• 4.  Re: unable to connect vm of ssg from Host to guest.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 24, 2018 11:06 PM

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-list-and-delete-iptables-firewall-rules 

iptables -F 

will flush all the rules temporarily, untill reboot,  with more details about individual rules in that link above.

Cheers - Mark

• 5.  Re: unable to connect vm of ssg from Host to guest.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2018 12:56 AM

I would not recommend you to manually run iptables commands.

Because the gateway will take over the control of firewall after it startup. Any manually change is unkown to the gateway, and the gateway only action base on what it knows, that will cause conflict and we already see quite a few cases of it.

If the firewall was messed up due to the above reason, reboot the gateway server is the best option.

If you want  to change the firewall rule, you should do it via policy manager (Tasks -> Transports -> Manage Listen Ports -> Manage Firewall Rules)

• 6.  Re: unable to connect vm of ssg from Host to guest.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 29, 2018 10:42 AM

Hi 

Which network type did you use for the gateway VM on your Vmware workstation ?

Is it shared with the host ?

The firewall by default should not block the ping .

Regards

Dirk

• 7.  Re: unable to connect vm of ssg from Host to guest.

Posted Oct 30, 2018 04:35 PM

I think the takeaway from the responses above, to re-iterate, is that the Gateway will not do what you've described by default. So if it's a behaviour you are still seeing, then it has to be either one of two things: 1) The Gateway had firewall rules added to it and in which case you'll need to remove them, or 2) the pings are being dropped prior to it ever reaching the Gateway, in which case you'll need your network team involved to resolve.