BobBridges.real

After a PERMIT statement, some kind of refresh?

Discussion created by BobBridges.real on Oct 26, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 30, 2018 by BobBridges.real

I've written a REXX with a very specialized purpose:  After doing a WHOHAS on DATASET(hlq), this REXX reads the WHOHAS listing, does a PERMIT for the same HLQ and then issues another WHOHAS so I can be sure of the result.  One problem:  TSS claims the PERMIT is successful, but the permission doesn't show up in the subsequent WHOHAS.  I have to issue yet another WHOHAS before I can see the result.

I supposed at first that it's a timing issue, that TSS might need a second or two to let the new permission settle in, so to speak, before it could display the results in a WHOHAS.  But I had the program wait as long as twelve seconds before issuing the subsequent WHOHAS, and it still doesn't show the new permission.

I conclude that some sort of refresh is called for, something that happens automatically when my REXX stops executing but is held up as long as it's still running.  Sure, I can issue the command again, but the whole point of this program is for me to be lazy.  (I'm going to be doing a lot of these.)  Also this is a chance for me to understand better what's going on under the covers.  Can anyone explain what I need to do for this program to work as envisioned?

Outcomes