Agile Requirements Designer

• 1.  Incorporating Test Case Description into the test cases generated via Model

Posted Nov 02, 2018 03:29 AM

Hello Team,

Can you please look into the following query on How to export test case description into the 'Description' Section of a particular test case in GTF ALM.

Using the reverse engineering mechanism, we were able to map the test case description to Notes, we were trying to map the same into GTF ALM description tab for a particular test case while exporting the text cases in to ALM using the tool, For this we tried creating a custom field in ARD and mapping this to the description tab but we were not able to get the text from the notes tab into the description tab.

In addition to the above query, Since the test case changes depending upon the paths taken (Say true/False output), in such scenario we tried incorporating the description in the process block next inline to the decision block, In such cases how can we incorporate the description of the test case into ALM ?

#Do let me know if any additional information would be required from our end.

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,
    Vedavyas Shenoy

• 2.  Re: Incorporating Test Case Description into the test cases generated via Model

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 06, 2018 03:57 PM

Hi Vedavyas ,

I have a feeling it is just a matter of mapping choices.

What are the different options you had experimented with in getting this to work?

• 3.  Re: Incorporating Test Case Description into the test cases generated via Model

Posted Nov 19, 2018 05:39 AM

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for the  response.

We tried creating a customized field to map the test case description into the test case but sadly were not able to.

To explain our situation clearly please consider the following flow

The model Test101 represents model where one is to take decision to perform 3 activities. Attached pic o1 for same
    -Activity 01
    -Activity 02
    -Activity 0ctivity 03 is again further divided into Activity 03_01 and Activity 03_02.

The description of the test case changes depending upon the path traversed post the decision block, so in our case we would have 4 different test case description.
    --The  Test description of Activity 01 & 02 is decided immediately after the first decision block while the test description of Activity 03_01 & 03_02 is decided after the second decision block, as seen from the model.

Can you please show how to map the test case description unique to a particular test case (Different from Block description) into ALM.

For convenience process we have written the Test case description into Note tab of the first process block after the decision block
    Process 01 Notes (pic 02)
    Process 03_01 Notes (pic 03)

In addition to the above query, we would like to have the test case name same as the path name.
    Test case 1 to have Activity 01
    Test case 2 to have Activity 02
    Test case 3 to have Activity 03_01
    Test case 4 to have Activity 03_02

Could you also look into this as well?
    Do let me know if anything else would be required from our end.

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,
    Vedavyas Shenoy

Pic 01

The Test Flow

Pic 02

Test description for Activity 01

Pic 03

Test description for Activity 03_01

• 4.  Re: Incorporating Test Case Description into the test cases generated via Model

Posted Nov 27, 2018 04:50 AM

Hi Ryan

even I too have the same query, how to map the test description from a process block in to HPALM TC ->Test description field.

Could you help to make this answer.

Regards

Goutham

Vodaofne

• 5.  Re: Incorporating Test Case Description into the test cases generated via Model

Posted Nov 27, 2018 06:01 AM

Hello Ryan,

I am also facing the same issue, So far we have been tracking the test description under notes, However, We need these details under test description in HP ALM. Please guide me here.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Minhaj

• 6.  Re: Incorporating Test Case Description into the test cases generated via Model
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 09:30 AM

Hi Everyone, 

You can map the ALM "description" to the "Description of Blocks" field - shown below:

In regards to the second question; "In addition to the above query, we would like to have the test case name same as the path name."  - you can use the Path Naming Template, as shown below:

Hope this helps.

Ryan