Rally Software

• 1.  Creating a portfolio template that includes children (user stories)

Posted Nov 07, 2018 11:02 AM

Product: CA Agile Central (formerly Rally)

I'm trying to create a portfolio template that includes user stories. I'm able to create a template and apply it to new items, but the User Stories aren't copied over. The CA Tech help says it should, but when I'm creating the template, there is no field for user stories to be included.

Is it because our user stories have required fields? Is there a workaround?

Help!

• 2.  Re: Creating a portfolio template that includes children (user stories)

Posted Nov 08, 2018 10:13 AM

MaryJoSkeet1359578 

Can you let us know which product this question is for? The Water Cooler is a non-product specific community meant for general discussion, and moving it to a specific product community will increase the chances of your question being answered. 

Thanks!

Melanie 

• 3.  Re: Creating a portfolio template that includes children (user stories)

Posted Nov 19, 2018 09:45 AM

I have the same question.  The first line of the question says:  CA Agile Central (formerly Rally)

Is there a way to create a portfolio item with user stories and tasks - and copy it to use with additional project rather than recreating each one by hand? 

-paul

• 4.  Re: Creating a portfolio template that includes children (user stories)

Posted Nov 19, 2018 11:39 AM

MaryJoSkeet1359578      Yes, we are continuing to make updates to the Work Item Templates functionality and you will soon be able to create a Portfolio Item template with stories!  This will work similar to stories or defects with tasks.  If the child stories have required fields, they cannot be created.   Also, to clarify, the templates will only create one level down - so stories with tasks will not include creating tasks on templates for Portfolio Items.  

PaulLindo1360581 We are also updating the Work Item Templates to allow cascading to child projects!  

• 5.  Re: Creating a portfolio template that includes children (user stories)

Posted Nov 19, 2018 11:49 AM

That is fantastic news! I know you likely can't give an estimate for completion, but are we talking days, weeks, or months until it's available?

• 6.  Re: Creating a portfolio template that includes children (user stories)

Posted Nov 19, 2018 12:18 PM

We are shooting for mid-week, barring any unforeseen issues!   We'll look forward to your feedback! 

• 7.  Re: Creating a portfolio template that includes children (user stories)

Posted Nov 19, 2018 12:42 PM

That sounds great! We'll start testing it once you're ready.

• 8.  Re: Creating a portfolio template that includes children (user stories)
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 19, 2018 02:37 PM

Another thing you may want to consider is the Subscription App called Portfolio Item Copy.  This will copy a feature and all its user stories and subsequent tasks to any project you select.  Your subscription admin would need to make it available to you.

• 9.  Re: Creating a portfolio template that includes children (user stories)

Posted Nov 19, 2018 02:44 PM

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

• 10.  Re: Creating a portfolio template that includes children (user stories)

Posted Nov 19, 2018 03:59 PM

Is there a version of this app that keep story and task estimates when copied?