DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Grafana CA APM datasource

Posted Nov 12, 2018 05:02 AM

Hi,

Has anybody any experience of using this CA APM data source in Grafana:-

GitHub - NovatecConsulting/ca-apm-grafana-datasource: CA APM (fka Wily Introscope) Data Source for Grafana 

It is based on the Metrics Data Web Service. I have got this running in my dev environment and it seems to work pretty well but just curious if anyone else has been using it.

I am also trying to get the Grafana APMSQL solution working (which is available in CA APM 10.7 SP2) and wondered whether anyone has had any success with this.

Thanks,

Andrew Marsden.

• 2.  Re: Grafana CA APM datasource

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 12, 2018 08:05 AM

Converting to a discussion.You should find in prior posts, community members that have used Grafana and APM SQL

• 3.  Re: Grafana CA APM datasource

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 12, 2018 04:19 PM

Hi Andrew,

For the Grafana APMSQL solution see this recent post and KB article:

No data points (grafana+apmsql) 

CA APM Grafana APMSQL queries - CA Knowledge 

Hope that helps

Regards,

Lynn

• 4.  Re: Grafana CA APM datasource

Posted Nov 13, 2018 05:16 AM

Thanks Lynn.

I am currently trying to get APMSQLserver running on my test environment so I can then implement the Grafana solution.

In the meantime, I have been using this:-

https://github.com/NovaTecConsulting/ca-apm-grafana-datasour… 

Which creates a data source in Grafana based on the Metrics Data Web Service. So far it has been very intuitive to use,  the dashboards I have created have been really useful and seem to work really well.

I was just curious to find out if anyone else had used it - and I'm conscious that this is not support by CA.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

• 5.  Re: Grafana CA APM datasource

Posted Nov 13, 2018 11:12 AM

Hi,

I'm the developer of the data source based on the Metrics Data Web Service.

We use the data source for several APM environments and have not experienced any unexpected issues so far. From the GitHub stats and some other contacts I know that others are using the data source as well.

Just keep in mind that the Metrics Data Web Service is not throttled in any way, so be careful with queries that might result in responses with huge amounts of data, e.g. when using wildcards. However, in my experience you rather kill your browser before you get the EM in trouble, as the XML SOAP responses get rather large pretty fast.

In case you have any questions, experience issues, or have suggestions, just reach out to me here or on GitHub.

Cheers,

Fabian