DX NetOps

• 1.  PM Self Certification question

Posted Nov 13, 2018 11:19 AM

Hey all, I have a couple of self-certification questions. I have written a custom component/metric family/vendor cert for a set of devices but have a couple of issues.

First, some of the values are simple integers representing the current state of something. How can I poll for this but not average or sum the values?

Second, these integer values have a corresponding string in the mib that explains their meaning. Is it possible to display the string instead of the integer in a dashboard/report? (example below)

resourceConservationReason OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX INTEGER {

noResourceConservation(1),

memoryShortage(2),

queueSpaceShortage(3),

queueFull(4)

}

• 2.  Re: PM Self Certification question
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 14, 2018 02:30 AM

You cannot have each status code collected to the db, as when the rollup process kicks in, your values will be messed up. PM can treat only Counter and Gauge values. Counters are summed up during the roll-up, as opposed to Gauges that are averaged.

The way that I did it, when I had status indicators, was to create on the metric family a separate column for each of the statuses that you need monitored. So, to pick your example as a starting point, I would have 2 columns created: TimeInNoResourceConservationStatus and PctTimeInNoResourceConservationStatus. First would count the seconds, second would count percentage of time. 

The Expression section in your Vendor Certification would have to have several records like those bellow:

---
    <Expression destAttr="TimeInNoResourceConservationStatus">resourceConservationReason==1 ? _rspDuration : 0</Expression>

<Expression destAttr="PctTimeInNoResourceConservationStatus">sensState==1 ? 100 : 0</Expression>

---

If everything is set up correctly, only one status column would have non-0 value at a certain time. 

• 3.  Re: PM Self Certification question

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 17, 2018 05:53 PM

Hi Dan,

Did Catalin's info help resolve this?

Thanks,
    Mike