DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Windows MOM

Posted Nov 15, 2018 06:39 AM

Hi Experts

I have MOM installed on windows and want to move the MOM from windows to Linux.

Can anyone suggest me the steps or document reference?

what things I have to keep in mind before proceeding?

Thanks 

Imran

• 2.  Re: Windows MOM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 15, 2018 09:18 AM

What you would focus on 

After you upgrade, or re-install CA APM, you can migrate your data to these new installations. Migration typically concerns the following APM components:

• APM Database
    • SmartStor and \Traces directories
    • Transaction and Events Database
    • Enterprise Manager (EM) - Standalone, MOM, Collector and the associated Calculators and Management Modules
        • Management Modules .jar file in the <EM Home>config/modules-backup folder
    • Command Center

• 3.  Re: Windows MOM

Posted Nov 16, 2018 01:47 AM

Hi Hallett_German

so when I am installing APM 10.7 on Linux should I go for complete Installation in the first place?

Thanks

• 4.  Re: Windows MOM
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 16, 2018 05:51 AM

Hi Imran,

Yes, that's right, you need to install a fresh new installation.

If it is a 10.7, I strongly recommend you to apply the latest hotfix, you would need to contact Support to get a copy or at least install latest service pack 2 that is available from support.ca.com

1) For the Introscope EMs (MOM and collector), you need to install a fresh new EM(s), then restore your databases (traces, SS database, MM, scripts, etc), it would be like performing a manual installation, steps and file you need to restore are documented here:

Upgrade Introscope Manually - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

2) About APM database:

If you are using Oracle database and if nothing hasn't changed, then you should be all set, the tess-db-cfg.xml should be pointing to the right server and connection details still same

But, if you are upgrading as well, then use the EM installer, enter the connection details and it will upgrade the APM schema for your, there should be nothing else to do.

If you are using Postgres database and if nothing hasn't change, then you should be all set as well,

But, if you are upgrading apm, then you would need to install a new postgres version + upgrade the schema, in this case, you should proceed as below:

a)backup the existing schema

b)use the EM installer to install new postgres instance

c)restore the previous backup

see Manage the APM Database - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

d) update the tess-db-cfg.xml across all the EMs so they point to the new postgres instance + use the correct connection details.

c) ACC:

Install a fresh new installation using the Installer or use the ACC Non-Installer packages

Then restore your custom settings + db.

I would like like performing a manual installation + applying your custom settings & db

Back Up CA APM Command Center - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Install CA APM Command Center - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

d) APMSQLserver

Install a fresh new installation using the Installer or take a copy to perform a APMSQLserver remote installation

Same here, it would be like performing a manual installation

Install and Configure APMSQL Servers - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Then, update the configuration with your custom settings

e) If you are using CEM, you might encounter the below issue as you are moving the EM/TESS, in that case, you would need force for the ts_entity to be updated.

RTTM Collection Service is stuck on "In Progress" - CA Knowledge 

See also:

Install and Configure TIM for CA CEM - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Other useful reference:

Introscope Enterprise Manager Troubleshooting and - CA Knowledge 

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Sergio

• 5.  Re: Windows MOM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 19, 2018 09:17 AM

Thank You Sergio, nothing to add, true exhaustive!