Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  RA_FTP and file stability checking

Posted Nov 21, 2018 01:14 PM

Is there any type of file stability checking done within RA_FTP?  I tried researching the RA_FTP documentation but don't see if there is.  I cant use a File Event as there is no agent on the client source server I am pulling the files off.  So, is there any way or does SFTP already handle the fact that I don't want to pick up a file that is open?

• 2.  Re: RA_FTP and file stability checking

Posted Nov 21, 2018 03:10 PM

hi to you too.

As far as I know there is no builtin function neither in ftp agent nor in ftp commands.

The only valid solution I am aware of is copying the file with another extension e.g. myfile.tmp and afterwards rename it to the actual name myfile.pdf

cheers, Wolfgang

• 3.  Re: RA_FTP and file stability checking

Posted Nov 22, 2018 05:09 PM

One basic way is to run a command to list the size of the file using the FTP Agent, save the size retreived in a Variable object and do it again after a defined time and compare both values.

This can be done in a time event activating an FTP job. Once size is stable, stop the event and start the next object, the FTP transfer .... a bit complicated and stupid way to do it but it works

• 4.  Re: RA_FTP and file stability checking

Posted Jan 16, 2019 02:02 PM

I know this thread is a few months old, but thought I'd point out that the UC4 EVENT/FILE object type has a FILE_STABLE option in the Event settings.   I've used this feature with a wildcard too, and it validates that all of the files that are selected are stable before it will be satisfied.   You can customize how long it waits between stability checks, but the smallest wait is one minute, which is what I've been using.

You could precede your FTP step with one of these objects.  But of course this will only work for checking local files, not remote files.  If you need to check remote files, then I would think Alain's recommendation would be required.